Stupid questions I am too embarrassed to ask or go against the status quo

Frances C

Drawing blood for insulin testing - why does temperature influence the reading of insulin? If the blood draw is performed outside on a chilly day can the actual procedure of drawing blood in syringe and then transferring into a tube make a difference? (eg the blood just getting colder) If the same procedure was done in a warm barn but with the same outside temps. would the result be any different? I am kind of assuming that the horse produces more insulin/glucose in an attempt to keep its body temp in its normal range and if that is the case then cold weather would raise glucose levels?
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California