Re: Sparkles, Trying to Make sense of this case ... Tick disease, IR, Laminitis

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Edited

With the caveat that there's nothing typical about LD, I can tell you that the horses we have seen with LD laminitis did not have exceptionally high insulin and had pain way out of proportion to their insulin levels. Might be a  very different story if it's LD in horse that already has EMS but the response to doxy makes me think this issue is not only insulin related. That said, diet or diet and metformin don't work for every horse/pony.

The farrier apprentice sounds perfect! I hear you on the soup can feet. Ponies/minis do tend to grow this way if not trimmed properly.