Re: Sparkles ... hooves other than EL, the cold and returning to normal turnout

Trisha DePietro

Hi Jen. the dry, peeling hoof wall is actually called periople and is a normal finding. Typically, we see this mostly at the upper 1/3 of the hoof wall. its function is to flex slightly and provide a  transition space for the new tubules to harden as they make their way down the hoof wall. Sort of what your cuticle does for the nail growing out of the nail bed until it hardens into your nail. I guess you could call it "hoof cuticle" But its officially called "periople". You don't need to do anything with it, just let it be, its normal. As Sparkles trim and feet improve the periople might not be as obvious and that's ok too :)
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018