Re: Best grass varieties for hay

ferne fedeli

I'm sure the suggestions to contact your local extension agent is the best idea.  Here in No. California (much different growing conditions, I'm sure), my local hay guy said that they have had better luck securing Meadow Grass than Orchard the last couple of years (when we have been in drought conditions).  He said the grower told him that Meadow didn't need as much water as Orchard.  Don't know if that is really true or not, but I like the Meadow better.  Softer, and less weeds, etc. than Orchard used to be.  Always low in ESC & starch too, so far anyway.
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

Point Arena, Mendocino County, California
Case History