Re: Mare diagnosed with EMS/IR

celestinefarm

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 10:27 PM, Lisa wrote:
Yes I discontinued NSAID and started the previcox per Dr recommendation. I also started her on Devils Claw two days ago.
Today she was off her feed and so tight in the flank I did give 500# dose banemine to prevent colic episode. She did start eating later in the day.
Lisa, one of the mods or Dr. Kellon will explain this further, but Previcox is an NSAID. It is a different type than Bute or Banamine but it is in the same class. It is designed for dogs, there is an equine paste  and tablet version called Equioxx. I would not add any additional NSAIDs including bute, banamine,  and I wouldn't start Devil's Claw right now until your horse has had a chance to clear the Previcox if you decide to discontinue. Use of multiple NSAIDs ( Devils' Claw is not , but can be irritating in some horse's gastro system) can lead to right dorsal colitis and severe stomach ulcers.
From the Previcox website:
As a class, cyclooxygenase inhibitory NSAIDs may be associated with gastrointestinal, kidney or liver side effects. These are usually mild, but may be serious. Pet owners should discontinue therapy and contact their veterinarian immediately if side effects occur. Evaluation for pre-existing conditions and regular monitoring are recommended for pets on any medication, including PREVICOX. Use with other NSAIDs, corticosteroids or nephrotoxic medication should be avoided. Refer to the prescribing information for complete details.
From the Equioxx website:

EQUIOXX is a COXIB class non-steroidal anti-inflammatory for horses that helps to manage the roller-coaster effect of pain and pain relief that can occur with other products which might require multiple daily dosing.

EQUIOXX is available in two formulations: paste and tablet. EQUIOXX tablets are small and palatable enough to be hand-fed with or without feed. EQUIOXX paste provides more accurate dosing by weight for smaller horses or competition horses subject to testing.

As with any prescription medication, prior to use, a veterinarian should perform a physical examination and review the horse’s medical history. A veterinarian should advise horse owners to observe for signs of potential drug toxicity. Use with other NSAIDs, corticosteroids or nephrotoxic medication should be avoided.

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History