Re: Zahr Update: Insulin and glucose results

Sherry Morse

Hi Mikayla,

You should see a difference in blood test results in about 2 weeks although it may be more noticeable in terms of how the horse is acting before that.  We've found that insulin over 80 uIU/mL is where most horses will show signs of laminitis so Zahr's levels are high; but nowhere near that yet.

It's a bit tricky figuring out the medication when you have a horse that's PPID and IR but since his insulin is not in that danger zone I think you have some wiggle room to sort out if elevated ACTH is playing into the elevated insulin or not.