Re: Mare diagnosed with EMS/IR

Sherry Morse

Unless I missed something you just started switching her to the cubes 3 days ago, isn't that right?  I wouldn't hesitate to get her started on the DC to help with her comfort level.  As far as trimming you can trim without picking her feet up if you can put her feet up on a block of wood or put her in soft ground that will allow some give as she's trimmed from above (which most likely is all that should be happening now).  Doing nerve blocks will also allow trimming to take place if needed but I would try the less invasive versions first.

Evidence of pain right now could be insulin, trim, diet or abscess - it's hard to say and makes things very difficult for us as the humans.