Re: Ally & high insulin continued, Zero

Mary T

Edited

I was very unfortunately unable to be at the vet appt due to a migraine, so BO took over.  Frustrating.  I would have insisted on a few things different. I had them do lateral rads out of an abundance of caution.  They were very good, no issues.

I am convinced the cause is the Zero.  I was a bit concerned when I started it, but it was what I had & Ally was OK with it as a carrier.  This elevated insulin seems to be directly correlated to the feed change, though I understand correlation is not causation :).  Ally’s labs have been excellent up until now— ACTH mid normal, insulin 8 then 15 (sometimes, she snags a weed through the fence) since the first of the year.  She is easily shedding her coat.  We stopped the Zero & put her back on the soaked hay as soon as you responded—pulses now gone.

I’ve been digging into the ingredients of the Zero more & remembering Ally’s history from 2006-2008, & even prior.  Here is something I read:
The “roughage products” in Zero are canola meal.  I personally avoid anything to do with canola, as it is one of the worst oils, very highly processed using hexane solvent.  The meal is a by-product.  It’s full of omega-6 & highly pro-inflammatory.  (BTW I am a retired nurse with a bit of knowledge about human nutrition).
Here’s a bit more about canola:  https://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-canola-oil/#axzz3KUUalqWk
The lupine flakes are a legume grown in Australia.
Rice bran oil is high omega-6 & pro-inflammatory.
So 2 of 3 primary ingredients are highly pro-inflammatory.  I don’t touch them myself.  I won’t feed them to my dog.  Until I thought I had nothing else, I did not feed them to Ally except in small amounts as a carrier or to make her “soup”.  IF her insulin is not a fluke (that’s what vet thought & why she redrew), I’m suspicious it’s driven by inflammation.  We know inflammation drives IR.
The percentage of fat in Zero is 4%.  I know from experience that fat will drive IR in Ally.  I wish I had all my years of notes.  I have tried complete low carb
feeds with higher fat levels years ago, IE 2007-2008, then tested insulin.  Invariably, low carb complete feeds w/ fat (except 2-4 OZ flax) drove up insulin.  Every time.
The rice bran oil is the third ingredient on the label.  If the Zero puts her dietary at 4% pro-inflammatory omega-6’s, & what Dr. Kellon advises in the files is to stay under 3-4% fats at most for a horse w/ PPID/ IR, then I would have no room to add omega-3’s, which she must have.  (BTW, we’ve been giving her 2-4 OZ flax, didn’t help—I think the ratio was still off).
For 16 years, the only fat she’s had is 2-4 OZ flax/day—so switching to a diet with 4% fat from rice bran oil is not a good thing at all.  I’m not surprised in retrospect her insulin popped up—I think the pro-inflammatory food drove it up.  I think maybe the product works with a less sensitive horse—but not Ally.
I recognize canola is in everything now & is touted as a healthy product.  But it’s not.  I think marketing, money, & bad science.  But I also don’t agree with the entire way the US eats—high carb, processed food, high use of seed & canola oils—> epidemic of pre-diabetes, IR, diabetes —> heart disease, Alzheimer’s, etc.
If I had known about the low carb teff hay pellets, that’s where I would have started, & that’s where I want her.  They are pure hay, rather than byproducts made using toxic solvents & full of omega-6’s.

I thought about Metformin.  I want to eliminate the Zero first.  Same with additional PPID testing.  In 2006, when I first contacted Dr. K, Ally had been put on rice bran oil.  Dr. K. had me take her off it, as she said it would drive her IR.  I had to reach back 16 years to remember.

Ally comes first, always.  The thing that bothers me is Ally looks fabulous & not at all like 26.  She does VERY well.  I would be riding her but for a period of insane work.  And no, I am not in denial.  BTW, she is on 2.9 cc Cabergoline every 10 days, since 2018.
Thank you so much!

RE canola oil from Mark Sisson:

Canola was a hybrid derived from rapeseed to reduce the high erucic acid content of traditional rapeseed oil, which had a bitter taste and toxic effects from the acid. Canola oil is also called LEAR (Low Erucic Acid Rapeseed). Like most cash crops, the largest share of the market is by far GMO-based, and one corporate GMO giant, Monsanto, has been accused more than once of the release of unapproved GMO seed varieties. Despite all the genetic engineering, somehow canola remains one of the most heavily pesticide-treated crops. Hmmm – wonder how that all works.

Continuing on the canola’s journey now…. Once harvested and graded, seeds are heated to facilitate oil extraction. Most canola oil is chemically extracted using the harsh petroleum-derived solvent hexane. Even when expeller pressing is used, a process common to organic brands, the massive force of industrial presses still produces heat. True “cold-pressed” canola oil (extracted with millstones) does exist but can be hard to find and is more expensive.

Following extraction, canola oil must be de-gummed to remove unappealing solids that settle during storage. The process involves heat and sometimes the addition of acids. Next stop, the oil is then bleached and separated. Finally, the oil (known for its stench) must be deodorized through heating methods that use temperatures as high as 500 Fahrenheit.

(Frankly, the whole process is rather unappetizing if you ask me. Seriously.)

This brings us back to the omega-3 issue. Polyunsaturated fats aren’t the most stable fats out there. In fact, they’re pretty sensitive to heat and will turn rancid quickly. Obviously, canola oil undergoes a good deal of heating and heat-related degeneration in its processing. Needless to say, this is no good. Whatever omega-3 benefit there might have been is gone – like keys in lava, as one of the old Jack Handey quotes put it. What’s more is, you end up with a small but damaging amount of trans fat in your “heart healthy” oil. How’s that for irony?

My thinking is this: why bother with something so processed and unhealthy when there are umpteen other, better options out there?

 as I r as I reach back in time & memory, I recall what Dr. Kellon specifically advised me when we first contacted her for help & nutritional advice after Ally’s PPID diagnosis.  At that time, a vet had put Ally on a high fat diet with rice bran oil, because she had tied up years prior.  Dr. K was not pleased about the oil for Ally.  She did not like Ally on the oil & said it was most likely exacerbating her IR.  As you know, just being Arabian, she’s going to be baseline IR.  We took her off the oil, along with her soaked hay—with huge improvement.  After that, as below, I experimented with complete feeds w/ oil with poor results.
I understand PSSM horses need oil.  But maybe they’re not sensitive thrifty Arabians.each back in time & memory, I recall what Dr. Kellon specifically advised me when we first contacted her for help & nutritional advice after Ally’s PPID diagnosis.  At that time, a vet had put Ally on a high fat diet with rice bran oil, because she had tied up years prior.  Dr. K was not pleased about the oil for Ally.  She did not like Ally on the oil & said it was most likely exacerbating her IR.  As you know, just being Arabian, she’s going to be baseline IR.  We took her off the oil, along with her soaked hay—with huge improvement.  After that, as below, I experimented with complete feeds w/ oil with poor results.
I understand PSSM horses need oil.  But maybe they’re not sensitive thrifty Arabians.

 as I reach back in time & memory, I recall what Dr. Kellon specifically advised me when we first contacted her for help & nutritional advice after Ally’s PPID diagnosis.  At that time, a vet had put Ally on a high fat diet with rice bran oil, because she had tied up years prior.  Dr. K was not pleased about the oil for Ally.  She did not like Ally on the oil & said it was most likely exacerbating her IR.  As you know, just being Arabian, she’s going to be baseline IR.  We took her off the oil, along with her soaked hay—with huge improvement.  After that, as below, I experimented with complete feeds Arabians.
--
Mara & Ally
2006 PNW