Re: 31 yr old mare newly diagnosed PPID/IR

Maxine McArthur

Hi Mary
From one horse mum to another, I’d say the best course of action for you is to treat the major and potentially life-threatening symptom your horse has (sore feet, that is, laminitis) and not worry about things that ‘might’ happen. Your numbers tell you that your horse’s symptoms are serious—don’t ignore them.

Neither of my horses lost their appetite when I started them on pergolide. Both of them got more energy when their PPID became controlled. Neither of them lost weight, but their toplines improved. Not all horses have problems starting pergolide, and the odds are good that your mare won’t either, especially if you start her on the APF. APF Pro is fine, don’t worry about glucose—it’s the insulin you need to control, and that is done through diet regulation as Sherry says below.

For more information on APF you can search the Messages and Files. You should start it three days before you start the pergolide.

It seems complicated at first, but if you keep Diagnosis, Diet, Trim (and Exercise) in mind, it will get easier.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response