Re: Need assistance with trimming hooves and BCS

Hi, Karen. Thanks for adding the Photo Album link to your signature.

Yes, the toes are way too long. A hoof jack is helpful so you can put force into rasping the toes. So is a high quality professional rasp, not a feed store rasp. If Apollo is easy about trimming, the way to start is by taking a few strong strokes at the toes from 10 to 2 o’clock with every boot change. If I don’t do that, my horse outgrows her Clouds within a week or two. I can’t make much progress to change the trim but I can maintain it that way.

I leave nippers and hoof knives to my trimmer.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator