Re: Need assistance with trimming hooves and BCS

Kirsten Rasmussen

I'm sure with the hay soaking you will see a reduction in insulin.

Apollo's front feet have a lot of flaring all the way around the hoof (not just the toes) and extending up to the coronary band.  This is possibly from ongoing sub clinical laminitis due to high insulin causing stretched and disordered lamellae in the whiteline.  If you get his insulin down to safer levels you might see some tighter growth coming down, but the flares also need to be taken out of weight bearing so the new growth doesn't have the same tearing forces on it.  In some horses removing the flares doesn't bother them because they are already sore from standing on their soles and the flared walls aren't providing any support.  This was the case with my own horse and there are photos from 2017 in his album showing his flared hooves prior to trimming (June), and after removing the flares from weight-bearing (August).  In other horses, removing the flares can make them more sore because even flared walls can add some support to the soles.  Boots with pads are necessary in these situations.  You can focus on removing the toe flaring from 10-2 first to see how Apollo tolerates it, but eventually the side flares will need to be addressed, too.

The hoof stand is nice to have but as Cass said a few swipes during boot changes, while the hoof is in your hand, will help.  I found with the 2 horses I trim with sore feet that they are fussy with hoof stands because they cannot easily put the hoof down for a rest, so instead I just hold the hoof in my hand and don't fight them when they need a break.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History