Goodbye Millionairess

millionairess1989

I didn't expect today to start out the way it did.

Mill was dead behind the barn when I went out to feed this morning. She had fallen at some point during the night or early morning, so hard that she dented the heavy metal of the barn wall. I don't know if her pacemaker finally ran out of battery and her heart gave out or she had a sycopal episode and her neck broke during the fall. Whatever happened seems to have mercifully been quick as there were no signs of a struggle or any outward signs of trauma.

So much has happened during our 33 years together. Mill and I met during my basic horse training class at Scottsdale Community College in 1989 when she was about 7 months old. It was love at first sight for me when I picked her out of a group of foals with whom to work at Tom Chauncey Arabians. I repeated the same class the following year just to be with her and she finally came up for sale.

Mill and I competed in mini and “A” circuit shows in Arabian halter, Native Costume and Hunter Under Saddle. We finally learned side saddle together, a lifelong dream of mine. 2000 brought us cross country from AZ to TN. We rode at the KY Horse Park during Ride Aside in 2004 where we won first place for our Elizabethan habit and barding in the Most Beautiful Costume class. Mill was always the picture of elegance no matter the costume, be it medieval, Elizabethan or Arabian, always covered in bells and tassels.

She survived her 3rd degree AV block diagnosis, collapse and shock in a trailer on the way to Ohio State University and first pacemaker implant in 2007. We found ourselves here in 2010 when PPID & IR came, followed by a second pacemaker in 2011. Were she a cat, she'd be on her 3rd or 4th life.

No one thought that she would live to the ripe old age of 33 ¼ after all she had been through, least of all me. She was healthy up to the end and looked better that her stable mate 10 years younger. I have Dr. Kellon and this group to thank for helping me keep her healthy for so long.

I wish that I could hug her just one more time and tell her how much I love her, how grateful I am to have had her in my life and how her memory lives on in all that she taught me that I share with others.

The following quote has always resonated with me with regards to Mill:

I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” by W.B. Yeats

She always did and there will never be another like her. She was incomparable Arabian mare, the embodiment of so many of my lifelong dreams, and  has left an impossible hole in my heart to fill.

Fly free and graze and graze in green pastures until we meet again my beloved Millicent.

Millionairess #0428970 (Ben Bask x Nikiska)

2-13-1989 to 6-11-2022

--
Jennifer in Middle TN  2010
 Mill 33 yrs Arabian-PPID, IR & Pacemaker Dependent; 2-13-89 to 6-11-22

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker