Re: Need assistance with trimming hooves and BCS

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Sherry,
You are correct, that is the recommendation on ecirhorse.org but I didn't realize it was because it's the only known lab doing wet chemistry hay analysis for ESC and that NIR is not reliable.  I needed to sample 3 small lots of hay so I used a local lab that works with local ag coop and I didn't have to ship my samples which helped save some money (so I thought).  I don't know how I'm going to find hay for Apollo.  There's grass hay for sale locally but not any that's been tested.  When I extend my search to commercial hay growers "specializing" in low sugar hay, they may do wet chemistry analysis but it doesn't include ESC either, just NSC.  Is there a way to use NSC levels to purchase hay?
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin