Re: Need help quickly

Bobbie Day

Hi Shelley and welcome to the group!
I'm sorry your boy is struggling right now but we'll do what we can to help. Since this is your first post, I will be sending your welcome message along, it is quite a bit to read, but it will help you immensely while navigating through this. The hyperlinks will provide you with even more information on the subject, just please take a breath and read it when you can.
First off, we really need a case history with all his test results, x-rays and pictures of his feet and body just as soon as you can manage. We really need as much information on him that you can provide, even if you have to do it a little at a time.
It's very important to keep him off grass completely, if you feel he "just needs to be a horse", please get him a sealed muzzle for turn out. Although exercise is the best insulin buster there is, if he is in pain and not moving freely by himself, please don't force it.
Now then, NSAID'S are not recommended here, you don't say what breed he is but there are a lot of thrifty breeds that are genetically predisposed to IR, so diet and exercise is very important for these horses, and since high insulin can result in laminitis (which isn't inflammatory), any NSAID may hinder his recovery, I will include some information on getting him off the Bute and provide you with pain alternatives instead. We don't recommend gabapentin as most members here have not seen a difference with this medication either, if his trim is good, you can certainly give him Jiaogulan.
What is diet like otherwise? I would get him on the emergency diet first thing, and if you haven't already get his hay balanced.
Again, if you can provide pictures, we can better help you.
We have a lot of members that board that have had the same issues, we know for some it just isn't possible to have their horses at home, but maybe you could move him somewhere closer to a facility that would be more inclined to follow your wishes? I for sure would insist on the no grass. What herbal supplements are you feeding him? All the details matter. Are you able to get Uckele products there? You can also use Devils claw for pain just be sure to taper the bute if you take him off.

How to Taper Off NSAIDs.pages (groups.io)
Why NSAIDs & Icing Are Not Recommended .pdf (groups.io)
Pain Relief Alternatives to Bute and Banamine (groups.io)
Uckele Phyto-Quench Pellets 5lb
Uckele LaminOx 3.3 lb

Hello

Welcome to the group!