New to Group

katelizsmith@...

Hello all
I am new to this group and somewhat of a newbie to laminitis. I have had horses for close to 40 years and I have been fortunate enough not to have to deal with this terrible condition. I’m not sure how to upload a case history, but my mare in 2020 (she was only riding 4 at the time) was given a corticosteroid shot leading into summer to help with her itch. She went lame the next day and the vet attended and said she had laminitis. She was locked up for 4 months on laminitis diet and came good. In that time the vet did a blood test and told me her levels were ok but that I just should be careful of her diet in the future.

Fast forward to now, and she has been scratchy off and on. She was agisted away from me for about a year. I had the vet do bloods for her last week as I have just brought her back home, and he told me she has EMS. Her level was 280 and he said it should be under 20. She has been on metformin for 1 week and the vet will take another blood test in a week to see if it works. The farrier did her 1 week ago, both vet and farrier said she had no pulses and wasn’t sore with hoof testers so I’m not sure why she is still footy. She is worse left front but she also had an abscess in this foot 2 months ago now.
She is currently on teff hay, speedibeet and vit and mins. Vet told me I could give her soaked lucerne hay but I’m not so sure about that. I have X-rays from 2 years ago and about 2 months ago but I’m not sure how to upload them. Appreciate your advice

--
Kate Dunn, Gold Coast, 2022