Re: Hooves look terrible ?? Need asssistance with hoof trimming with hoof mark-ups

Nancy C

Hi Karen

Hang in there. It's hard work but oh so very, very rewarding when you get it right. I had to take over trimming my guys' feet when COVID came along. I will be 70 this year. Take it slow. Do it often. When they get rock hard, I soak the feet to give my hands and back a break with the rasp. I plan extra time to get the time that it takes to get the job done allowing for rest of both of us. I take lots of pictures for my own review.

Learning to the read the foot is a great investment of time as well. If one never picks up a rasp, learning the signs as outlined in this video can help owners assess what may or may not be being done by their hoof pros and help open up discussion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfEzM_SPemQ

In my opinion, unless lots has changed since your fall rads, Apollo should respond well to a physiologically correct trim
More here about that: https://www.ecirhorse.org/realigning-trim.php

Deep breaths. Apollo appreciates you.
--
Nancy C in NH