Feeding elderly horse with Cushings

jean banville

Hello all,
I have happily watched Snowman’s steady recovery from laminitis using the principals I have learned from Dr Kellon et al. Syringing the Prescend has helped insure that he gets it! He gets a trim every 4 weeks and has no soreness. His insulin was 200 in April, should I retest to see where we are at this point?
I am hoping for guidance about feeding a nearly 33 year old Arab gelding with onset of Cushings in the last 2 years. He does not have much grinding surface left although he does eat hay with some quidding. His body condition score is 5-6 and he is active and lightly ridden. My initial attempt to manage increased (70’s) ACTH with Prescend ended in failure with SEVERE veil sx including lack of appetite and constant liquid stool. I switched to Chasteberry (Mad Barn) with good effect on energy and appetite and GI function. Vet checked ACTH in April and it was in the 40’s. Although my vet was happy with the ACTH, I realize that this group considers that value still high, so I started APF Pro 6 mls once daily for 3 days and restarted Prescend 1/4 tab with titration every 4 days until we reached a full 1 mg. This time he is doing great with NO side effects. When should I recheck ACTH? This guy has never been foot sore or showed any subclinical signs of laminitis.
Also, his current feed is 6-7 lbs of Triple Crown Senior Gold soaked and divided into 2 feedings with 10 lbs of first cut Timothy.
My other 4 are on Stabul 1 2 cups a day as a carrier for Equi VM and Timothy hay in 2 feedings.
Is there any alternative to the TC Senior Gold that would be recommended?
Thanks a million!
Jean B from NH

--
*Jean B from NH