Re: New labs in - advice on increasing Pergolide & arthritic pain relief

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Yes, I would go to 3 mg and prescription as you said. Many people decide to go with long term NSAIDs in older horses, and if there are no options it's not a bad thing,
even if it does cause kidney and/or colonic disease. Before going there, I would suggest a rectal exam to check the pelvis for fractures and the SI joints for displacement.  Do you have access to an acupuncturist? Acupuncture and/or trigger point injections with Sarapin would be my first choice.