Re: Quarter Horses and IR

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Jen,

Yes, it is odd to see so many QHs with EMS.  Maybe it's partly due to a lack of testing.  It is also possible that certain bloodlines are more likely to be prone to it, or that any cross-breeding with more susceptible breeds could increase the likelihood of EMS.  Dr Kellon would be the one to really comment on this, but from what I've seen in this group since I started volunteering the QHs here do not have elevated insulin without PPID.  I'm sure there are exceptions that don't come to mind, but not many.

I agree with Cindy that it's great you have a barn full of similar-minded horse owners to support each other!  That is probably more rare than QHs with EMS!

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History