Re: Quarter Horses and IR

Bobbie Day

Edited

Dr. Kellon
One came down dead lame after a ride, she was the one on pasture, but they were all fed alfalfa. Took her to the vet here and he said arthritis and to let her on the pasture, so she could move around freely and gave me bute. I knew something was terribly wrong, she had never had a mis step before this episode. Took her back again, but she got progressively worse. We had taken my riding horse to a very good vet in CO for navicular treatment so I called him, and he told me what to do so she could make the trip to him (over 100 miles) he told me about the Styrofoam pads and thick bedding and limiting movement. But once he saw the x-rays, he didn't have any hope of her recovering, of course, now I would at least try to re-hab her, but this was in 1988, I think? But he didn't take any bloodwork either.
The paint was just before we got Desi, she had a cresty neck and constant swelling in her legs, ouchy when rode and started refusing to give her feet to the farrier. She would literally lay down with my husband every time we went out with her. Both of these mares were probably twelve or so if I am remembering correctly.  I didn't know better then either, had x-rays done on her and the vet said there was nothing wrong, she was just swelling from standing around, if there was rotation, he didn't see it. I think I stil have those x-rays. I'm just speculating about her being IR I guess because again he didn't do any blood work. But looking back she really looked metabolic, I wish I had known more.  Besides them all being QH that is the only thing my horses had in common. But sometimes I wonder if the only reason we don't have more of it here is because most QH's I know get a lot of exercise?
--

Bobbie and Maggie
Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Bobbie%20and%20Maggie