Re: Why an IR horse shouldn't have shoes on?

Starshine Ranch

Thank you, Sherry and Kirsten,
The reason I got concerned was because Kirsten wrote this - " The shoes cause most of the horse's weight to be supported from the hoof wall" and it made me think I might be putting too much pressure on the wall... but you have settled my fears because her IR was low enough and now she is on a much better hay.  I plan to retest right after the rise.  When she stumbled, her toes were not very long and she mostly did it when stepping over rock.  I am hoping the boots will make it easier on rock and gravel... some of the trails can get pretty rocky and I always ask her to walk, which is when she stumbles the most.  I'll try to get some pics of her hooves uploaded to my file.
--
Linda in Grass Valley, CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara