Re: New case history, photos, and hay analysis posted #photo #photo-notice

Cassandra Reid

Thank you Eleanor!

Kirsten, yes I did the 604 test.  The feed store owner gave me several bales of hay worth half the cost of the test because I shared the results with him.
I’m going to try this same strategy with 2 other feed stores tomorrow, and I’m going to ask if I can test them before I buy.  We’ll see.  I'm hoping test 2-3 other kinds of hay, since the iron is too high in my current hay.  I will ask Equi-Analytics if their 601 ($30) or 603 ($67) packages use wet chemistry…unless any of you know the answer to this?

My elderly mustang IR mare is steadfastly refusing to eat the soaked hay.  She’s too old to be messing about with skipping whole days of food so I’m abandoning soaking for her and continuing to soak hay for the 2 geldings.  I’m hoping to get hay results back and choose another hay asap that won’t need soaking.  Then start the balancing.

Thanks everyone for your help.  I’m sure I’ll have more questions soon.
Cassandra

On Aug 21, 2022, at 3:53 PM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:

Cassandra,

I wouldn't assume it's OK. However, you can make it OK by rinsing thoroughly before and after soaking. Rinse until the water runs clear.