Re: Lavinia : new hoof pics after trim farrier back Monday

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Lori,

Sorry, not Lavinia.  Did she have a trim yesterday and did she feel better after again?   It really looks to me like your poor girl has had a lot of abscessing and possibly another waiting to exit at the coronary band on her LF.  The best thing you can do is encourage those abscesses to blow even though it is very painful.  The usual poulticing and Epsom soaks might help.

She should also be on the herb jiaogulan to increase circulation in her hooves to help with that.  Mad Barn and My Best Horse both sell it.  The NSAIDS block it's effects but since you are weaning her off them the jiaogulan should help.  Give 1 tsp 2x a day 20 min before a meal.  Her gums should turn noticeably pinker; if they don't, increase the dose by 1/2 tsp increments until you see an effect.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History