Re: medicine

John Watson <jolaine@...>

Thanks Linda, Where are you from? We are in BC, Canada. The blood tests on
our mare were done yesterday so our vet said we'd get the results in 24-48
hours. We talked a man at a tack store today and he said his horse with
Cushings was fine with no meds. If the horse is getting the proper car (ie.
right amount of food, not over feeding, exercise, being shaved) do you think
they should have meds? Does your horse have the long coat and if so, do you
shave her a few times a year? Thanks- Dana

linda borgo wrote:

Hi
I think you're probably talking about Permax. There
has been some reports of vets using smaller doses than
that have been effective which would bring the cost
down. The other med is cyproheptadine, which is
cheaper although going up in price and not as
effective as permax. I suspect my horse may not have
cushings as her first series of blood work was at
critical levels but they've been closer to normal the
following year and she looks better. My new vet still
believes she has cushings or something similar, The
biggest change I've made is to feed her smaller meals
4 times a day, decrease her carbohydrates and increase
her fat, also reduced her daily stress level by
changing her enviornment. I don't have her on meds.
You might want to shop around for a better price on
the meds. Others on this list may be able to help you
with that.
Linda
--- John Watson <jolaine@...> wrote:
does anyone know of any medications that work for a
horse with cushings?
We are looking at spending $300 per month on meds
and we don't think we
can afford that much. Thanks-Dana

EquineCushings Moderator wrote:

Hello,

Welcome to the list. Please take a moment to
review this message.

To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist
website, at
www.onelist.com, and select the My ONElist link
from the menu bar
on the left. This menu will also let you change
your subscription
between digest and normal mode.

Thanks,
The List Owner.

http://im.yahoo.com

PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2121/3/_/664507/_/954975485/

Shortcut URL to this page:

http://www.onelist.com/community/EquineCushings