Re: Advice on ? for vet.

Kay Howitt <akkray@...>

Hi Linda, I'm sorry but I can't offer you any other reason for the
Cushing's-like symptoms. I might have an article pertaining to a
related-problem, but I'll have to look for it. I just reacted to what you
said about your regular vet's lack of cooperation and optimism and think
you're doing the right thing with the second opinion.

A woman I met when I moved here last summer told me to dig a hole in the
ground for my Cushingoid gelding before the winter as there was no hope.
Winter has come and gone and both he and I are still here :0). He has
some soundness problems, but is doing well except for that. Don't give up
hope! Kay in AK

Linda wrote:

I'm about to have my horse evaluated by a new vet and trying to
organize my thoughts, so what questions/tests would you present to a
new vet? I don't want to get home and say why didn't I cover that.
This is a consult and not the regular vet.
My horse has a dubious cushing's diagnosis, the first series of tests
indicated cushings and the second series didn't. I had problems with
the first vet who would not give me copies of the test results from
the first work up so I'm not even sure of what they were and why she
thought my horse has cushings, the only thing she said was my horse
was critically ill and there was nothing to do but turn her out and
wait for the end since it wasn't worth spending the $ for meds. That
was 2 years ago and my horse doesn't look any worse, just more tired
and old. The second vet said although the blood work didn't
indicate
cushings definitively that due to my horses coat, thisrt and peeing
she wouldn't rule it out, also the blood work wasn't completely
normal, the insulin and glucose levels were abnormal but not by much.
That vet has repeated insulin and glucose on her a few times and has
told me she's not in too bad shape and to ride her lightly. There
is
something not right with my horse so I want to find out what the
problem is.
Is anyone aware of any other disease that could look like cushings
that this consult vet could work-up? We did a thyroid work-up, it
was
normal.
Thanks, Linda

Equine Cushings email addresses: