Re: Triple Crown Low Starch

Dawn Wagstaff

Hey Dawn,
Thanks for the info. I did find the website and saw there locations,
nice and close. I was confused though about the NSC. If i saw
corrrectly the grass balencer is like 14% is that correct? I have
been told that that would be to high to feed in larger amounts. Just
wondering what Dr. Kellon told you about its being safe.
Also, I would love to know where you get your hay? Do you think the
farmer would have enought to sell to anyone else? We are set thru
next June, but would love to have the option of such a well balenced
hay.
Thanks again, Leah

Hi Leah,
Yes, I think the grass balancer does average in around 14%, the
growth, at 13%.
The group had found that IR and early cushings horses needed to stay
under 15% NSC to remain less symptomatic and 10% and under for horses
with severe symptoms. Some of this has gotten a little fuzzy as new
research has come in regarding fructans, individual sensitivity, etc.
Some horses can tolerate a carrot, some cannot. Some can handle 14%
nsc, some cannot.
My experience has been you need to look at each horse as an
individual. Discuss your situation with Dr. Kellon and other's on this
board who have a lot more knowledge about what works and what might
need tweaking in your case. I personally feel that you have to look at
everything you are doing. If I have good quality, low NSC hay with
balanced minerals, decent water, pasture management that allows my
horses exercise without gorging on high sugar grass, a readily
available feed that is just slightly over the NSC but has all the
minerals, vitamins, etc. that complement my hay, no sugar treats, and
balanced frequent hoof care, and my horses are doing well, I'm not
going to fret that my bagged feed is slightly over the absolute ideal
in NSC. Now if my precushings mare starts to have issues or
backslides, then I will tighten her diet up even more, switching her
to a custom mix with beet pulp(although plain beet pulp isn't always
fail safe, look at the files at the bags that tested somewhere in the
twenties)I would also retest her ACTH, and possibly consider switching
her to pergolide instead of the Evitex.
Regarding the hay, I buy it from my farmer neighbor who only sells to
three of us locally. He has only a few fields of grass hay(he is a
dairy farmer and almost everything not holding up a cow is planted in
corn and soybeans.) I buy a years worth at a time and he and I always
look at the fields and determine when to cut it. With no second cut
this year and a small third, I know for certain he has no more to
sell, just alfalfa. If I hear of any additional, I'll let you know.
Dawn