Re: Leaf eating - any issues for an IR horse?

Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...>

I haven't come across detailed comparisons between leaves, but any
leaf that still has color (other than brown) could be high sugar. The
process of dropping the leaves starts with formation of a plug between
the base of the leaf and the rest of the tree. Sugar production
continues in the leaves but it can't be pumped out into the tree. As
long as the leaf still has moisture, it can use CO2 from the air to
produce sugar. As moisture levels drop, it will begin to use it's
sugar just like curing hays do, so somewhere along the line the sugar
level will drop but how much remains in dried leaves I really don't
know.

Eleanor