Date   

Re: soaked hay

 

It’s possible, but the only way to know for sure is to soak the hay, dry it and send it to EA for ESC analysis. Variables like the hay, the water chemistry, the amount of water and the water temperature all affect the amount of sugar than can be soaked out. 

I would soak in more water (with several inches of water over the hay net) and change the water after 15 minutes. That way you dump out dirt and contaminants instead of soaking your hay in it. 
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder                
Cayuse Photos                Diamond Photos


soaked hay

Daisy Shepherd
 

i have read the post about soaking hay to remove sugar up to 30%. using cold water if i soak for 30 minutes then change the water and soak for 30 minutes more,  is it possible to remove more than 30%? thank you, daisy and tiko
--
-- 
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko 
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0


Re: Digestive upset from metformin was Re: Increased Insulin/Nuzu Stabul One/Metformin

Cindy Giovanetti
 

Mine nearly colicked or may have colicked the first day on Metformin.  I started over and titrated him up.  Things were fine for maybe six months.  Then he just quit eating, picking through his food, leaving depressed.  (This is a horse with a huge appetite!)

 

I took him off all supplements, and added each back in one by one, including titrating the Metformin.  Everything was fine until about a month later, he went off his food again.

 

I took him off all supplements and added each back in one by one (again), this time without adding the Metformin back in.

 

He’s never missed a meal since.  I don’t know what that means.  Unfortunately, I was not able to have his blood tested during all that.

 

Cindy

 


--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19
https://www.facebook.com/LifeWithOden/
History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cindy%20and%20Oden
Photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=91125


Re: GAVI is bad to worse ,Im worried and need next steps please

Sherry Morse
 

Hi Tara,

The information on how to get good x-rays is in the Wiki here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/1571. We have several horses on this group who have been on 20mg (or more) of Pergolide without issue.  When was the TRH test done?  If it was during the rise the results are not going to be accurate.

For pain relief you can use Phyto-quench with the Devil's Claw as Dr. Kellon has already mentioned.





Re: GAVI is bad to worse ,Im worried and need next steps please

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer
 


Re: Hay Analysis and Invokana question

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer
 

I found a couple more orchard options that I will be sending samples on. I am pretty hopeful about these two.

I will update when I have the tests back.
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca
Joined Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Vinnie 
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=245855

Summer
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Vinnie/Summer 
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=249104


Re: Vets vs Beet Pulp

Starshine Ranch
 

Hi Bobbie,
I've never fed beet pulp.  What are some of the things it helps with, please?
--
Linda  CA  in 2020


Re: Trying Phyto-quench again & questions

 

Dr Kellon ..what is Invokona used for? Could that be something as an alternative to Metformin?


--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa
joined 5/19/2016


Re: GAVI is bad to worse ,Im worried and need next steps please

Tara Smith
 

Hi again ,ok just scheduled
-- xrays for friday ,my farrier is going to try and come a protocol of whats needed would be great.This vet coming is not who i want for xrays but the only avail so he needs detailed directions and isnt gonna be happy about it .His gum test returned within seconds,he is up and down but sticking to a small area.He is shaking in fronts when getting up and lifting legs in an alternating pattern .I took boots off for tonight to see if he keep biting at them .I cant get history up as Im not tech savvy and have a major issue .Id pay someone to help me. His insulin is 200 and acth /stim was 348 ,without stem.18.not sure how to send video.Still trying to get urine sample.I know gavi is a difficult case ,typically when his cushings level.is up he then has higher insulin with pain ,thats his pattern.Does this mean the tumor is not responding or to soon to tell  and how much pracend can a horse be given and still  be supportive to the  horses disease.The vet said he can have metformin every 8 hrs is that ok?can I give laminox and the hemp blend along with ivonkana and  pracend? ..oh yes I remember we spoke about tramadol its very expensive with the amount he would need.Any cheaper more affortable ideas on that.also  I had a private consult with Dr kellon last year because I couldnt upload into case history   and sent everything to date to her .My farrier kathleen even cumminicated with her and said dr kellon said  trims were perfect.He is still getting that trim every 5 weeks without fail based off his symptoms. I HOPE THIS COVERS MOST INFO..NEEDED IN THIS MOMENT
Tara and Gavilon
Mass.  Nov 2017
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tara%20and%20Gavilon
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=11449


Re: Trying Phyto-quench again & questions

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer
 

Thanks Dr Kellon, His crest is already improving...much much softer and there are parts that have "thinned" out like a normal crest.  I am very very hopeful.
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca
Joined Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Vinnie 
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=245855

Summer
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Vinnie/Summer 
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=249104


Re: What next

Kandace Krause
 


Re: What next

Kandace Krause
 

Thanks again, Dr. Kellon
Okay, no turn out in Ultimates.  Get them lowered as soon as possible, with horses comfort level as guide.  Anything else?  I will bring her home tomorrow or next day, they told me to wrap feet with vet wrap to help her move from trailer to stall on snow covered slightly sloped ground.

No Tenotomy for sure.  Would putting the venograms up in photos be helpful.  Yes I am still going to try to get the picutes linked properly.
--
Kandace K Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K


Re: What next

Kandace Krause
 

On my PC link shows in my signature.  I will go there in a few moments and try pasting again.

We did decide this morning, that we are going to move the heated(by propane) water trough up to the shelter and that will give her the access she needs.  I think her attitide will improve at home with her paddock mate.  Unfortunately that means J will not get out for walks as K gets too wound up when she can't see her buddy.
I found a couple of great sounding boarding people who would do their best, but I work for free (LOL) and know what and when happens.

Hay not being soaked as you, Kirsten , felt all three were safe, except possible extreme IR needing below 7%.  The jury is still out on that, as we were down to 46.22 before this last lameness flare up.  K had blood drawn today for re-evaluation.  
As CH was changed yesterday to reflect more what was happening at clinic, here is a quick run down of her feed that I want her on, mostly ECIR recommendations but also I would request advise on whether or not I should start all at once or reintroduce slowly.  In clinic she has only eaten Timothy 2 hay.  She has refused Mad Barn Amino Trace + balancer, I hope because it was offered only on it's own (and it doesn'r smell good, even to me.)
18lbs safe hay
8 oz dry r/s/r BP (as carrier) divided
200 grams Mad Barn Amino Trace + divided
4 oz ground flax divided
1 TBSP flax oil  (for oil with Vit E)
2000 IU Vitamin E 
2 TBSP loose salt iodised/cobalt divided
5 - 7 grams magnesium oxide divided
I would also like to give her WIRX and G's Formula, WIRX for her IR but she has only tolerated at 1/4 recommended dose and slowly reintroduce G's formula as horse has had severe Diarhea for several years until she was started on this product.  She has been scoped for and small ulcers seen at line between squamous and non glandular stomach.
Drugs Prascend and Metformin.
Thanks again for your understanding of the frozen north


--
Kandace K Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K


Re: Trying Phyto-quench again & questions

Eleanor Kellon, VMD
 

I would hold off on the PQ until you see how he is responding to the Invokana. Give it a week to show improvement. No, I'm not aware of any gassy episodes with either PQ or PEA.
--
Eleanor in PA

www.drkellon.com 
EC Owner 2001


Re: GAVI is bad to worse ,Im worried and need next steps please

Eleanor Kellon, VMD
 

Tara,

Is he spending most of the time down? Could you post a short video of him walking?  Raspberry won't help. I think you meant Rehmannia? That's an herb for fatigue or anemia. The D I mentioned was probably Devil's Claw. That's the active pain reliever in PhytoQuench pellets and Hemp Joint. If your vet thinks the pain warrants it he/she could prescribe Tramadol 10 mg/kg twice a day. Also need: insulin, glucose in urine, ACTH, radiographs.
--
Eleanor in PA

www.drkellon.com 
EC Owner 2001


Re: GAVI is bad to worse ,Im worried and need next steps please

Tara Smith
 

Also no heel rubs.Dr kellon ,i kmow you mentioned 1 pain med could be used with Ivonkana it began with a D .i cant remember do you ,he is in agony
--
Tara and Gavilon
Mass.  Nov 2017
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tara%20and%20Gavilon
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=11449


Re: Trying Phyto-quench again & questions

LJ Friedman
 

Having others mention PEA and gas? I’m sort of losing interest in trying this because I was very excited about trying it but now not so..
--
LJ Friedman  Nov 2014 Vista,   Northern  San Diego, CA

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History 
Jesse's Photos

 


Dropping Prascend dosage

caitlinocobb@...
 

 Lab work just came back from Cornell with Sunburst (mini, 9h, 250lbs) testing ACTH at 28.1 pg/ml, down from 453 pg/ml in August. Case history has been updated. Local vet is recommending reducing Prascend dosage from 1mg to .5mg. Thoughts? In my previous thread reducing dosage was advised against, but I didn't have the lab results yet. Thank you!
--
Caitlin Cobb
South Carolina 
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Caitlin%20and%20Sunburst 
11/2020


Trying Phyto-quench again & questions

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer
 

Hi Dr Kellon,

Now that we have started Invokana and we stopped prascend the same day, Vinnies appetite is almost come back to normal. He is willingly eating all his supps and buckets and is Nickering again when he sees me with his Supps again.  I really think he was experiencing symptoms of the veil even though he should not have been.

So now I am going to try Phyto-quench again for pain, but a question, every time in the past when I start PQ and get him to eat it he seems to get a bit more gastric noise sometimes sounds very gassy.  Has anyone ever reported this with other horses..if pQ doesn't work, is there anything else I can try? He is already on CBD, using neurogan 2 scoops am and pm so about 200mg cbd per day. And he is on movease that does seem to help his hind end arthritis but has never done much for his feet.  PEA also seemed to cause some gastric upset gassy.
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca
Joined Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Vinnie 
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=245855

Summer
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Vinnie/Summer 
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=249104


Re: Laminitis and Stabul1

Buzz
 

Hi Lavinia!  I have posted some mark up xrays from our trimmer for Buzzy.  I realize the photos I posted of his feet are poor quality.  I am going to try again today when I remove his boots to ck on his feet.  He was quite sore the day we tried.  He has sunk on all 4 feet and I am being told it's time for him to be put down!    We only had boots on the front, so the owner requested I order for the back.  I'm waiting for those to arrive.  They are the soft rides. He is still on gabapentin bid as well as the prascend and equiox per the vet.  I am being told he should have improvement by now. His diet has been OTBC, RSR BP, VIT E, Triple Crown flax and I have added Stabul 1 to get him to eat meds. Also he is on Teff hay which has been tested. The owner is out of town and returning next week to make some decisions, so in the meantime  I am trying to do all I can for him and am very concerned!!! This situation is a big learning curve and I feel very responsible for him. I bought a new computer to try to access this site better so I'm on a learning curve with it too!! I was using a tablet which was not very compatiblle!  I appreciate ANY help I can get to make his life better at this point!  Thank you!  I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help!!
--
Marsha and Dame - Buzzy TN 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Dame%20-%20Buzzy
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=258797

2021 - 2040 of 258329