testing -why so many labs?

Linda <lindarollins38@...>

OK, so I need an iron panel & insulin/glucose (and in a few weeks,
another ACTH) Why does one have to go to KSU and the other to Cornell?
Isn't there one place that can do it all??

Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Linda" <lindarollins38@...>
wrote:

OK, so I need an iron panel & insulin/glucose (and in a few weeks,
another ACTH) Why does one have to go to KSU and the other to
Cornell?
Isn't there one place that can do it all??
KSU is the only place in the world that can test equine ferritin.

With hormone testing, it's always best to send directly to a lab that
tests their samples as they come in, rather than storing them for
batch testing. Many commercial labs may offer a test but not even do
it in house. The more your sample gets passed around, the less likely
it is to be accurate.

Eleanor

lindarollins38@...

Thanks Elaenaor.
Oh well, none of it is easy, is it?
Linda

http://www.sportshorses.com/cases/rollinslinda.Peanut.htm

lindarollins38@...

ELEANOR. Sorry about the typo. Not-so-nimble fingers. The damn cold weather has finally arrived!

http://www.sportshorses.com/cases/rollinslinda.Peanut.htm

Joan and Dazzle

Linda,

None of this is really hard. It's just different.

I had to let my vet know where to send the labs, but I don't have to do
anything else, except pay the bill.

The hard part is to change our way of thinking about our horses and
what's good for them. When I first starting weighing Dazzle's hay, I
thought it was sooooo traumatic. Now, it's just one of the chores I do
every night. When I first stopped giving carrots and Mrs Pasture's
cookies, I thought that I couldn't do that forever. But now, it's not
even an issue. When I first had to give the syringe, I felt bad.
Dazzle's feeling so much better that now she fights me even more. Is
that a good thing? I think so, but it sure doesn't feel that way.

Take a deep breath, stick to your resolve. Sit down and journal about
why this is bothering you so much. Let all of it flow out onto the
page. You'll see what it's about.

Peanut is stronger than you think, more tolerant than you give him
credit for, and more needing your love and acceptance than your panic
and worry.

Figure out how you can bring to him that loving calm instead of the
thunderstorm of emotions that you've been experiencing.

It gets easier when you get used to it.

Hang in there kiddo. We've all been there. Some of us even oscillate
back and forth after doing it for a while.

You can do this.

Joan and Dazzle

Oh well, none of it is easy, is it?
Linda

lindarollins38@...

Hi Joan,
I got down to some of that yesterday...the feeling of broken promises. But you know, he can still wander about freely - just not munch down freely. He's NOT in a stall for 23 hours a day anymore, only getting out to get worked. He gets to go for trail rides that are relaxing, without the stress of showing. If he was where he was, with this, he'd be sent to the auction (no time for special needs horses in a barn like that!)
So, I kissed him again today on his star, assured him (and me) that we've gotten THIS far, and we can go further (although I still cried). We'll make it.
Linda

http://www.sportshorses.com/cases/rollinslinda.Peanut.htm

J Amick

No, Kansas STate is the only place that can do the iron profiles.
Think it has to do with the machines etc. Cost alot. Cornell does
many other processes for blood, but not that one. As far as I know,
KSU is THE only one available currently.
Judy-PA