Dr. Kellon and Nutritional Experts

Jeanie

Sarah said "He keeps twisting his shoes off
on the front right which is his softest foot and every
time he does this he rips off a bunch of foot "

So why not let him go barefoot, put boots on him if need be?? I am sorry if
there is some other important reason why he has shoes, i.e, some
therapeutic type of shoe or whatever, that I am supposed to remember about his story,
but this seems to me to be a case of the shoe causing more problems than they
solve?

Jeanie

Jeanie

Oops, sorry, I guess I should have kept reading. If Memfis has to wear some
kind of therapeutic shoe, is there maybe a way to over-wrap the whole foot
to apply supportive pressure to the wall??? Elastikon or??
Jeanie

Jeanie

Abby recommended _www.equicast.ww_ (http://www.equicast.us) and I just
looked at the site. That is really cool! That is even better than the elastikon
idea I had, but makes me feel better for at least brainstorming along the
right line of thought...
Jeanie

Sarah Bancroft <sarahbancroft@...>

Dr. Kellon and Nutritional Experts.... back to Memfis
- he's doing really great, his ligament injury is 95%
healed, according to the ultrasound guy and they are
baffled and put his remarkable healing down to his
diet. His IR appears to be under control and I plan
to have him retested (blood) soon. He's back to work,
or should be only I have another set back.

Memfis has soft feet - he is "prone" to quarter
cracks, he has shoes and pads on the front and
barefoot at the back. He keeps twisting his shoes off
on the front right which is his softest foot and every
time he does this he rips off a bunch of foot - which
means no exercise because he's so soft in the foot and
stone bruises easily and being stall bound is horrible
for his mind and IR.

Help - I'vehad this issue in the past and gave him
Farrier's Formula - after he ripped half his foot off
and I had to stable him and let him out only with
boots on. It was awful and I'm heading down this
ridiculous road again.

My question is - is there something IR friendly that I
should be giving my boy to help him improve the
integrity of the hoof wall. His back feet by the way
- unshod, are a horrible shape and the hoof wall
breaks very easily - even the day after being trimmed
and shod. My farrier is wonderful, very talented,
and my only gripe with him is his limited
availability.

Please help.

Thank you

Sarah and Memfis

http://mail.yahoo.com

Abby Nemec

Sarah Bancroft wrote:

Memfis has soft feet - he is "prone" to quarter
cracks, he has shoes and pads on the front and
barefoot at the back. He keeps twisting his shoes off

Sarah - His hoof quality should continue to improve on his new diet, but in the meantime, check this out:

www.equicast.us

An excellent product for the situation you're in, and very easy to apply. If you have questions on the use of the casts, Dave is very helpful. There is a DVD on applying them, you can also write me privately if you have questions. I've used them a lot.

-Abby

--
**************************
Abby Bloxsom

Sandra Su

Posted by: "Sarah Bancroft" <mailto:sarahbancroft@...?Subject=
Re%3ADr%2E%20Kellon%20and%20Nutritional%20Experts>sarahbancroft@...
<http://profiles.yahoo.com/sarahbancroft> sarahbancroft

Thu Nov 1, 2007 6:54 pm (PST)

My question is - is there something IR friendly that I should be
giving my boy to help him improve the
integrity of the hoof wall.
Sarah,
Try Miracle Hoof Oil. You paint it on the hoof, and I really
do think it makes it stronger. My farrier told me to use it. Since
you paint it on, it's not going to interfere with his diet. Might
help, can't hurt. There's a site on the Internet telling about it,
and you can get info there for ordering it. This is a product Mike
Wildenstein, the farrier at Cornell Univ., recommends. My farrier was
a student of his, and I think his work is a Mike Wildenstein clone,
but he'll come to the barn to do Penny. He costs more, but I think
he's worth every penny.
--

Sandy Su
ssu@...

He's back to work,
or should be only I have another set back.

Memfis has soft feet - he is "prone" to quarter
cracks, he has shoes and pads on the front and
barefoot at the back.
Hi Sarah ~

How long has he been on the TC Safe Starch forage? A month?
It takes 6-8 months or more to grow out a new hoof capsule.
If you've got him totally on the TC feed now, it is balanced and you
shouldn't need anything else with it. If the TC feed is only part of
his diet (and he's still getting untested hay with it)then a smaller
dose of Farrier's Formula (proportional to the percent of hay in his
total ration) would be appropriate. i.e. - if he's getting half hay,
half TCSS, then a half dose of Farrier's Formula - 3oz (although more
won't hurt him).

Meanwhile, I'd follow Abby's advice concerning hoof care and not be in
a rush to ride - exercise and movement, yes, but not real "rider weight-
bearing work" until he's had a chance to grow new feet. Get your
farrier on board with Abby's ideas to stabilize his feet and have your
farrier show you what good hoof growth by the coronet looks like - when
it's all the way to the ground he'll likely be ready to ride.

Patti K
Vail AZ

cjspackman

You might try cornucrescine made by Carr & Day & Martin. Its a product from
the UK sold by several retailers - google it. We used it all the time when
I was a kid. You massage it into the coronet band and it increases hoof
growth. When a previous horse of mine foundered the vet was amazed at the
speed the hoof re-grew and the quality. It can also be used on areas where
hair has been rubbed off like elbows and hocks. It causes the hair to
regrow and to grow back in the correct color rather than white. Possibly
useful for the horses who are off their feet and may be getting "bed
sores". Also a little goes a very long way!!

Here is a synopsis from a retailer
* Cornucrescine* promotes and accelerates healthy horn growth and aids
re-structuring of the hoof when used regularly. Cornucrescine also aids
re-growth of hair on scars and rubbed areas. Lasts forever, AMAZING.

- Unique formulation that promotes and accelerates healthy hoof
growth
- Cornucrescine maintains optimum hoof condition and aids
re-structuring of the hoof
- Cornucrescine also aids re-growth of hair
- Apply Cornucrescine regularly by hand, rubbing in well around the
coronet band. Results will be visible in 4-6 weeks

Clair

Jennifer <JVDBrasco@...>

I agree that Memfis should be producing a better hoof w/his new diet.
Maybe there hasn't been enough time yet for a better hoof to grow down
to where a shoe/nail impacts the hoof.

In my opinion, I think the best thing for him to stimulate healthier
hoof growth is to pull those shoes and remove those pads and properly
fit him in hoof boots w/pads. That will make movement more
comfortable for him which is essential. The mechanisms of his hoof
need to be able to function optimally in order to allow for proper
blood flow which a shoe restricts. Nails in a hoof wall only stand to
further compromise an already compromised hoof wall. Also, a hoof
needs to breath and lord only knows what sorts of things are growing
under that pad and potentially causing all sorts of BAD things to grow
(i.e. that environment allows thrush to flourish).

Personally, I'd avoid adding any "foot" supplements to his diet being
that he's already compromised as an IR horse. You need to fix what's
inside before you'll grow a good hoof. You can't do it the other way
around.

Jennifer Reinke

***************************************

Sarah wrote:

Memfis has soft feet - he is "prone" to quarter
cracks, he has shoes and pads on the front and
barefoot at the back. He keeps twisting his shoes off
on the front right which is his softest foot and every
time he does this he rips off a bunch of foot - which
means no exercise because he's so soft in the foot and
stone bruises easily and being stall bound is horrible
for his mind and IR.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...>

Sarah,

I agree with the advice you have gotten so far. There are a few horses
that didn't do well on the TCSS as a complete diet so definitely check
his blood work. The hoof casts should solve the problem with shoes
coming off.

Eleanor