Which Hay?

jvoutdoorz <jvining@...>

I'm getting hay today and need advice. No one responded to my previous
post. Here it is again. Help!

Oh, I think I jinxed myself saying that things were going so well!
Long story short, I don't have much hay storage and I buy hay from a
middle man who gets hay from Eastern Oregon. There was plenty of hay
available from the field/cutting I had tested and a shipment was to
come in this week. Well, the farmer didn't cover it before the rains
and it is all ruined! I have $100 of supplements for this hay for both
Copper and Emmy.

I have two options and need to know which is better. I can re-test
sugar, but not a full panel. Should I get First cutting same field or
same cutting across the street. I know my minerals will no longer be
spot on, but I can't afford to start all over. Thanks for the advice.

Jodie and Copper
WA

Mandy Woods

Jodie,
I wish the hay gurus would respond .... but since they haven't - yet - I vote for the same field first cutting. Your minerals would probably be the closest match to that. Your s/s might be lower with the first cutting too. Is the hay mature?
Mandy and Asher in VA

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

Should I get First cutting same field or same cutting across the
street.
Hi Jodie,

Just agreeing with Mandy.I'd go with the same field too,with the
caveat that I'm not a guru either.

Lorna

Pam Brewster <pam@...>

I also wish the hay gurus would respond - but it has been my experience
with eastern OR hay it has more to do with when it was cut. Because
the extremely cold nights there were only a few windows when the hay
could be cut that it hadn't been stressed. When we tested six cuttings
within 6 weeks from the same farmer (different fields but very close)
the biggest difference was the stretch of weather right before the hay
was cut and how long it sat on the ground before it was baled. Just my
experience, hope it helps.
Pam

On Dec 20, 2007, at 1:50 PM, Mandy Woods wrote:

Jodie,
I wish the hay gurus would respond .... but since they haven't - yet
- I

5 Pine Ranch