No blood for testing - now what?

Suzanne Clothier <clothier@...>

Hi
Thank you for the advice. As noted in my original email, one cephalic is thrombosed, and despite clipping and 6-8 sticks, could not get more than 4 mls from the remaining cephalic.

We will add the heat packs as suggested, and have put APF into the mix. Finding boots to fit a donkey - not been successful so far. Donkey hooves are shaped differently.

Dosage on j-herb and/or AAKG and/or ginseng for her??

thanks,
Suzanne & Shrimp

marysutliff

-Have you tried Soft Ride boots. I just bought new ones for El Dazo
and when I talked to Debbie she mentioned they have the boots in
small enough sizes for minis. Her phone #is 1 866 763 8743 or
www.soft-ride.com. The boots will make your donkey so much more
comfortable. Talk to her about the size before you order. I've
found she is very helpful.
Mary Sutliff

-- In EquineCushings@..., Suzanne Clothier <clothier@...>
wrote:

Hi
Thank you for the advice. As noted in my original email, one
cephalic
is thrombosed, and despite clipping and 6-8 sticks, could not get
more
than 4 mls from the remaining cephalic.

We will add the heat packs as suggested, and have put APF into the
mix.
Finding boots to fit a donkey - not been successful so far. Donkey
hooves are shaped differently.

Dosage on j-herb and/or AAKG and/or ginseng for her??

thanks,
Suzanne & Shrimp

Vicki Kline <vlk@...>

Yes, the problem isn't only the size, but the shape - they're so much
more upright. You "might" get away with hind hoofwing boots from
horsesneakers; could try a tracing and/or phone call to see what they
think.

Vicki Kline

--- In EquineCushings@..., "marysutliff" <marysutliff@...>
wrote:

-Have you tried Soft Ride boots. I just bought new ones for El Dazo
and when I talked to Debbie she mentioned they have the boots in
small enough sizes for minis. > Mary Sutliff

wrote:

Finding boots to fit a donkey - not been successful so far. Donkey
hooves are shaped differently.
Suzanne & Shrimp

Abby Nemec

Suzanne Clothier wrote:
Hi
Thank you for the advice. As noted in my original email, one cephalic is thrombosed, and despite clipping and 6-8 sticks, could not get more than 4 mls from the remaining cephalic.
How about using the urinary cortisol:creatinine ratio? Eleanor discussed this some time ago - maybe last March? I tried to search but the archive search server is busy.

My pony Tony is being managed with no bloodwork, by symptoms only. He rears and dives onto anyone who tries to get close to his jugular. Even an IM injection has to be REALLY fast, and we can't get accurate EC/IR bloodwork under sedation.

It's tough, but not too bad in his case because his Cushing's symptoms are very severe and include obsessive itching which is easy to spot, and his IR is pretty well controlled by the Pergolide. He's never yet had a major founder. Have been thinking next spring I'm going to try doing urinary cortisol:creatinine, since peeing is something he does in a very predictable manner.

So yes, it can be done, but I wish I didn't have to.

-Abby

--
**************************
Abby Bloxsom

Sandra Su

At 1:02 PM +0000 12/21/07, Abby Bloxsom wrote:
... and we can't get accurate EC/IR bloodwork under sedation.
Why is that? Last test, Penny was sedated, since she, too,
goes into a frenzy when she gets shots. We decided one shot to sedate
her was easier. At the time, I wondered if this would affect her
tests, but I thought I had been told it wouldn't. Now I can't
remember: was it my vet or this list that said so?
I thought of doing this again, but if it skews the results,
there's no point to it. However, if Penny gets worked up over the
blood draws, then won't that raise her ACTH? I hear stress does that.
So, for spring shots and tests, which way is best? If we don't
sedate her, we could do ACTH first. She might not be in such distress
with the first needle, though the mere sight of the vet probably
causes her stress. Even just seeing the vet's truck makes her nervous.
What a problem child I have!
--

Sandy Su
ssu@...