Why not go straight to pergolide?

minesafety <MineSafety@...>

Hi Linda. MY OPINION ONLY. Personally, had I known about chasteberry to
begin with and understood how it works, I probably would have gone the
chasteberry "route" versus the "pergolide" route first to see if his
numbers would come down with the chasteberry. However, when I first got
the cushings diagnosis I was in a panic and did not do any research.
In the last two months I have done a lot of reading about chasteberry,
and it appears to have the same effect as pergolide. The difference?
About $90 a month for me. A month's worth of chasteberry is about $11.
The pergolide for my horse is $309 for 3 months. I am LUCKY in that
this horse is a shared horse with a friend so we split the costs. Now
my horse's ACTH numbers are up, so I am trying chasteberry instead of
increasing the pergolide dosage. As of Jan. 10 he will be on
chasteberry for 6 weeks, and his ACTH retested, and then I plan on
reporting back to everyone on this board whether or not his numbers are
down, the same, or increased while on the chasteberry. If you "google"
chasteberry and cushings, you will find a lot of helpful information. I
think it also depends on what you are comfortable with. Again, had I
known then what I know now, I would have tried the chasteberry first.
-- Ellen Smith

lindarollins38@...

Did you start with pergolide, then switch to chasteberry? Did his ACTH come down if you did?
Pergolide does not have to cost that much. I pay $50 for 3 months at 1 mg/day. Look in the "files" and you will find tons of information about pergolide - and where to get it cheaply, and how much more effective it has proven to be in controlling cushings. Pergolide is worth every penny, in my opinion, experience, and the experiences of many in this group. Really, go through the files and you'll find lots of us who would use pergolide right from the beginning. Chasteberry USED to be one of very options for these horses, but not anymore!
What are his numbers? Pre-chasteberry? Post-pergolide? Pre-pergolide? Have you posted a case history yet? That would be a great place to start, so we can all see what happens & the gurus can offer guidance re: dosage, etc. Have you started the emergency diet? There is A LOT to do at first, but updating your horse's case history is easy after the initial info input.
Linda

http://www.sportshorses.com/cases/rollinslinda.Peanut.htm

Vicki Kline <vlk@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "minesafety" <MineSafety@...>
wrote:

Personally, had I known about chasteberry to
begin with and understood how it works, I probably would have gone
the
chasteberry "route" versus the "pergolide" route first to see if his
numbers would come down with the chasteberry.
Ellen - FYI, when I found out my gelding tested positive for Cushings,
I did use the CTB first. He shedded out better, seemed better - but
his numbers never came down. If I hadn't retested, I would have
thought it was working great.

The pergolide for my horse is $309 for 3 months.
Agree with Linda - you're paying way too much! Most recent purchase
(for a boarder's horse) was 100 capsules (1.5 mg) for $65.

Vicki Kline