It's time to say good-bye

Dagmar <nwhorselady@...>

It's time for me to let my boy Party go. He's endured enough. The last
2 weeks he's been in a lot of pain and there just isn't a whole heck
of a lot we can do for him any more. It's time for me to realize that
I have exhausted all venues, opinions, suggestions, many were contrary
to the belief of the mainstream horse community, many were against
what most mainstream vets would recommend, but I always went against
the stream, nothing new there.

This summer Party was still galloping around the outdoor arena and
having a good time, he looked amazing and I have photos.

I know part of this latest laminitis episode is to blame on the beet
pulp we fed to him, this beet pulp had us fooled, I always soaked and
rinsed the beet pulp through my washmachine, have done so for a few
years now, this time the beet pulp had something in it that we missed
because we mix sterett pellets into it, otherwise dear old Party boy
wouldn't eat it, the beet pulp pellets didn't dissolve completely and
there was molasses in them, he foundered again. I blame myself because
I feel as though I have become complacent, trusting the manufacture
and my washmashine to remove all that dirt, I always checked to see
that the water rinsed clear, every day I did this, but didn't see the
glued together beet pulp pellets and didn't notice the difference when
mixing the beet pulp with the sterett pellets because they felt just
like pellets.
But his troubles started before then, the second it became colder he
became sore, still manageable, but I have watched him decline rapidly.
It's hard to medicate him because he has severe stomach ulcers, for
the past 2 weeks he's been on Aleve, fastrack, ration plus, tagamet
and liquid antacid. He's belching a lot and doesn't look happy, he
looks very sad. He did nicker for his food today. I started soaking
hay again, my back is killing me, I have 4 herniated discs in my lower
back and severe spinal stenosis, now severe sciatica as well.

I can't continue watching him suffer, I love him too much. It's very
hard to let go, I fear the pain of his loss already, silly season
makes it that much harder because I had a lot of losses in December.
On December 18th was the death anniversary of my mother and my beloved
dog and another dog I deeply cared for, all different years.
I know I haven't been on here at all. Party was maintaining well and I
re-discovered my passion for photography, that's kept me busy all summer.
I am not sure how many people remember Party or me on this list, but I
thought I needed to let everyone know that he won't be with us much
longer. For my youngest son's sake I may have to wait until Wednesday,
my vet is just a phone call away so any time I feel it's necessary
he'll be there to help my wonderful boy cross over to a life of
freedom, pasture grasses and most importantly no more pain!!!

Despite everything, I want to wish everyone a peaceful and healthy
holiday season. Thanks for all who have helped me, supported me and
cared for me and my amazing equine partner when I first arrived on
this list in December of 2003!

Hug your equine friends for me, soon there will be one wonderful soul
less to love and he'll be sorely missed by many!
Dagmar aka Dee and Party my equine soul mate

STOMPERX@...

ahhhh... Dee.....?

[...]

Jackie <stc4qh@...>

Dee, my heart goes out to you at this very sad time. Be strong for
Party, you did everything plus more for your boy. He was very
fortunate to have had you love and care for him. I'm very sorry.

Jackie and Gacy

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Dagmar" <nwhorselady@...> wrote:

It's time for me to let my boy Party go. He's endured enough. The last

Cindy McGinley

Dee, I'm sorry you're going through this. We'll remember you in our prayers.

- Cindy and Alf (and entourage) in NY

Abby Nemec

Dagmar wrote:
It's time for me to let my boy Party go. He's endured enough.
We're all thinking of you, Dee. There will be some amazing souls there to meet Party at the Bridge. I know because they're my friends.

Hugs and a few extra tears from here, in case you need spares.

-Abby B

--
**************************
Abby Bloxsom

Mandy Woods

Dear Dagmar,
Please know that you've gone above and beyond the call of stewardship for Party Lights. I remember your messages to the list from the beginning. I would stay up reading all night about you and Party and his abscesses. Your determination was so strong to help him. Its been years of work for the two of you and you've had such wonderful success against all odds. Party knows you love him. He knows what you did for him. You both helped so many others by sharing your stories of learning how to trim him yourself and teaching us how to make duct tape boots! So please know we all are so sorry for his discomfort now and the choice that you have to make. You'll see him again. He'll always be in your heart.
Mandy and Asher in VA

Larson <seahorses3@...>

Dee, my heart is breaking for you. You may not remember but you were the one who got me off the applesauce for my Blue's meds, and I think of you every day - it's made a huge difference, and thanks to you and all the things you kept posting, I had to courage to stay. I had hoped not hearing about Party was good news, and it was, thanks to everything you went through for him. That he galloped around this summer says everything. And your courage continues with making the most difficult decision of all - to free him from pain.

Please do not blame yourself for anything - we can only do what we can do, and you have done everything possible for your boy. Our prayers are with you.

Carol and Blue in Maine

Joan and Dazzle

Oh Dee,

I'm so sorry for you. One day when your heart only has a dull ache,
you'll be able to bring out your wonderful photos. You are so lucky
that you've had the extra time with him, and that you've found a
passion in the photos that you take.

I'm a lurker on the D50 group. You're photos have always been breath-
taking.

Know that you're in our hearts.

Joan and Dazzle

wrote:

It's time for me to let my boy Party go.

This summer Party was still galloping around the outdoor arena and
having a good time, he looked amazing and I have photos.

5 Pine Ranch

Dee, with your seniority and experience on this List, I can only hope that many will follow in your shoes. You've helped us grow, learn, hope and cheer. Big <hugs> for you and Party. When the time is right, you know and he's had many blessed extra years in your loving hands. If I come back as a horse one day, I could only hope to have someone like you as an owner. I hope his farewell is a fond one filled with tears of joy as well as sorrow.

Amberlee
www.fivepineranch.com
Please Visit Our Site!

Sue

In a message dated 12/20/2007 5:22:02 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
STOMPERX@... writes:

Despite everything, I want to wish everyone a peaceful and healthy
holiday season. Thanks for all who have helped me, supported me and
cared for me and my amazing equine partner when I first arrived on
this list in December of 2003!

You too hon. You have my prayers and hugs for both you and Party.

Sue T.

Carol Vincent

I'm SO sorry for the loss of your soulmate - he was very fortunate to have had your love and kindness through the years.

My heart goes out to you and your family......

My galfriend had to put her horse down yesterday morning due to severe colic - he was injured about 6 months ago and made a remarkable recovery....unfortunately complications arose and now he is no longer with us.... it is always sad to loose a friend but even more so this time of year...I'm truly sorry for your losses.

HUGS and nickers
carol n romka

---------------------------------
Looking for a X-Mas gift? Everybody needs a Flickr Pro Account!

Claire C. Cox-Wilson <shotgun.ranch@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Dagmar" <nwhorselady@...> wrote:

It's time for me to let my boy Party go. He's endured enough. The last
Hug your equine friends for me, soon there will be one wonderful soul
less to love and he'll be sorely missed by many!
Dagmar aka Dee and Party my equine soul mate
Dee
My heart goes out to you. It so hard to say goodbye to our soulmates
even when we know we are giving them the kindest gift of all...a
release from pain and a peaceful & loving passing.
Love Party as much as you can these last few days as I did with my
beloved Tamera.
Bless you Dee for being the kind of horseowner that truly loves these
beautiful creatures and is willing to go all those extra miles.
Hugs,
Claire from AZ (& Tamera at Rainbow Bridge)

EvilTemptress169@...

In a message dated 12/21/2007 4:38:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
vlk@... writes:

I'm so sorry for you. We've had to euthanize 3 in the last 2 years.
One was my soul mate too. After it was all said and done, I realized
that I probably didn't make the decision at all - I think he did. I
think he was just tired.

Dee

I too had to euthanize a long time friend this past summer. He wasn't a
cushings horse, just an old farm horse that we got in the spring of 89. He
developed some weird colic, and after 12 hours of pushing fluids and meds, my
beloved gelding laid his head on my chest and let out with a huge sigh. He was
saying good bye to me. I know the pain you are experiencing, and I want to think
of Party up there partying with my Luckie, and all the other great horses.
When you've had a horse as long as I had Luckie, you read them like a book, and
you know when they are ready to retire to the great pastures in the sky, to
feel youthful and vibrant once again. Healing white light coming you way to
help you through this most toughest decision we have to make for our best
friends, partners, and soul mates.

Audra

saddlebred1986

Dee,

I know that we have talked so many times about our struggles with our
beloved companions but it is never easy to make that final choice. He
is and will always big a huge blessing in your life. I can't believe
how much we learn from them about ourselves. I'm so glad that I got to
meet Party. He reminds so much of my Lady Red.

God Bless and my phone is always on to talk.

Courtney, Lady Red and Walela

K. Currie

No words - just Hugs & Nickers,

Karen & Magic

---------------------------------

rita@...

Dee,
My heart aches for you and Party. I can't find any more words.
Peace to you both.
Rita

cjspackman

Dee
I don't know you or Party as I joined this list only this summer.
However I can feel your pain. I just lost my equine friend of 18
years this past tuesday (the 18th) due to a sudden and rapidly
deteriorating condition seemingly unrelated to his cushings. Having
lost my dog earlier this year to another rapidly progressing condition
I know it will get better and you will be blessed by many happy
memories. I also know it is the greatest kindness you can pay to a
dear friend to acknowledge when it is time. It truly is an act of
unconditional love that repays them for that same unconditional love
they have given us over the years. Party is blessed to have you in
his life however guilty you may currently feel. He is well aware of
all you did for him that enabled him to have a new lease of life this
past summer and will be thankful for your ultimate gift of kindness.
Buckskin and all our other past friends are waiting for him.

In peace,
Clair

Vicki Kline <vlk@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Dagmar" <nwhorselady@...> wrote:

It's time for me to let my boy Party go. He's endured enough. >
Dagmar aka Dee and Party my equine soul mate

Dee,

I'm so sorry for you. We've had to euthanize 3 in the last 2 years.
One was my soul mate too. After it was all said and done, I realized
that I probably didn't make the decision at all - I think he did. I
think he was just tired.

I've been on this list forever too, and your stories of inspiration and
the help you've given us all will never be forgotten.

Vicki Kline

Suzie Mac Dougall <walking_s_mac@...>

Dee I know how hard this is for you, you have done a great job and made
Party's last years good, we all come to this stage one way or another
cushings or not it is part of the cycle of life, don't blame yourself -
sometimes these things happen - when Rose departed I wondered if I'd missed
something I should have seen but if I did it was part of the process of
Roses souls journey.

Hugs Suzie in Oz

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

After it was all said and done, I realized
that I probably didn't make the decision at all - I think he did. I
think he was just tired.
Vicki,so well said.
I think that is a very important thing to remember...after all is said
and done....."I think he was just tired."

And so lucky for the horses whose humans recognize the message ,and
help them cross over,even as their own hearts feel as if they're being
ripped from their chests.

What a dreadful few months this has been,with so many losses.

Lorna