is this diet ok


twinkle_and_amber <kelly111@...>
 

would you say this diet is ok for my pony
she 12.2

300grams oh hifi lite for break and dinner
http://www.dengie.com/pages/products/fibre-feed/hi-fi-lite.php

3 qauters of a pint of speedi-beet for break and dinner
http://www.britishhorsefeeds.com/speedi-beet/typical-analysis.aspx

vitek4 equids and furmula4 feet
www.equilife.co.uk

with some garlic and mint

was also feeding pernamax but dont no if i still should for stiff
joints the tablets
http://www.maxavita.com/products/pet/pernamaxequine/

and 8 pounds of hay which i soak and rinse ,am planning on getting
hay anaylised im moving stables in 2 weeks so planning on doing that
when i get there.


Sandra Su
 

At 3:30 AM +0000 1/13/08, twinkle_and_amber wrote:
with some garlic and mint
I'm no diet guru, so I won't comment on the other stuff, but
garlic is bad for horses. Search previous posts for more info. Horses
get a kind of anemia from it (Heinz anemia?), which is very
dangerous. Even if the amount he's getting is so small you don't
notice any bad effects, I think it's probably better to not feed any
amount of garlic to a horse.
--

Sandy Su
ssu@...


twinkle_and_amber <kelly111@...>
 

oh god shes off of that!

thanks


 

--- In EquineCushings@..., "twinkle_and_amber"
<kelly111@...> wrote:


300grams oh hifi lite for break and dinner
http://www.dengie.com/pages/products/fibre-feed/hi-fi-lite.php

3 quarters of a pint of speedi-beet for break and dinner
http://www.britishhorsefeeds.com/speedi-beet/typical-analysis.aspx

vitek4 equids and furmula4 feet
www.equilife.co.uk

was also feeding pernamax but dont no if i still should for stiff
joints the tablets
http://www.maxavita.com/products/pet/pernamaxequine/

and 8 pounds of hay which i soak and rinse ,am planning on getting
hay anaylised im moving stables in 2 weeks so planning on doing that
when i get there.
Kelly,

I'm not that familiar with UK products. The Speedi-Beet should be OK
provided that it's not processed with molasses - if so, soak and rise
it before feeding. Can't offer much about the Dengie product except I
saw molasses in the ingredients. Formula 4 feet should be OK, the
pernamax looks interesting - not sure what the studies show regarding
chondroitin supplementation in horses. I wouldn't use this product to
replace fatty acids - if you have a source of flax seed, it's
preferable.

Since you're going to move her in 2 weeks and have the hay analyzed,
focus on the emergency diet that you received when you joined and
hopefully, some UK members will chime in here.

Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)


attreeking
 

Hi,

I used to feed the unmolassed speedibeet but changed to normal
unmolassed BP which you DO NEED TO SOAK FOR 24 hours then rinse
thoroughly till water runs clear before feeding, apparently the
speedibeet has a very high iron content which isn't good for them.

The cushings group recommend the combined sugar and starch to be
below 10% and the only feed I found is the Winergy range made by
Spillers. Go to www.winergy.co.uk - it's low-glycemic and you can
call the help desk who are very friendly to discuss your pony's
nutrition and health issues.

The vitek 4 equids is the Vitex Agnus cactus herb - if your pony
is confirmed with cushings after you get the ACTH test results then
I would not give this and get the Pergolide medication in tablet
form to get this under control. Do NOT give your pony both.

As for Formula 4 feet, alot of people use this but if you are going
to get your hay analysised I would recommend you then balance the
minerals and vitamins against it using this group's help.

My horse has stiff joints and I use Cortaflex with great results but
this product does not suit all, the glucosamine if you have an IR
pony may effect them.

If you want to email me directly michelleaking@... I'm in
the UK too and willing to share any of the information and experience
I have with having a horse with cushings.

Best regards

Michelle, Rufus and Sam




--- In EquineCushings@..., "twinkle_and_amber"
<kelly111@...> wrote:

would you say this diet is ok for my pony
she 12.2

300grams oh hifi lite for break and dinner
http://www.dengie.com/pages/products/fibre-feed/hi-fi-lite.php

3 qauters of a pint of speedi-beet for break and dinner
http://www.britishhorsefeeds.com/speedi-beet/typical-analysis.aspx

vitek4 equids and furmula4 feet
www.equilife.co.uk

with some garlic and mint

was also feeding pernamax but dont no if i still should for stiff
joints the tablets
http://www.maxavita.com/products/pet/pernamaxequine/

and 8 pounds of hay which i soak and rinse ,am planning on getting
hay anaylised im moving stables in 2 weeks so planning on doing that
when i get there.


Abby Nemec
 

---- attreeking <michelleaking@...> wrote:

I used to feed the unmolassed speedibeet but changed to normal
unmolassed BP which you DO NEED TO SOAK FOR 24 hours then rinse
thoroughly till water runs clear before feeding,
Not necessary to soak so long:

beet pulp shreds -
rinse
soak 5-10 minutes
rinse
feed

beet pulp pellets -
rinse
soak 30-60 minutes
rinse very thoroughly
feed

I've been feeding beet pulp for many, many years to many, many horses, and until I needed to r/s/r it for the IR guys I would just add water & feed. We have had 3 horses who were frequent chokers and were absolutely FINE as long as there was plenty of water, no soaking necessary. Nowadays if I were still using it (I feed OD cubes instead now) I would at least rinse any BP that I fed even to non-IR horses.

-Abby

--
---------------------
Abby Bloxsom
www.advantedgeconsulting.com