Questions re salt and vitamin E

Merdy <mersmith@...>

My mare is on a diet appropriate for her IR condition and the analysis of her hay. Part of the diet involves giving her iodized salt and vitamin E. I have had to change part of her diet due to her refusing to eat the Triple Crown Safe Starch. She is now agreeing to eat the Ontario Dehy Timothy Balanced cubes.

Question 1: I seem to recall reading that one should feed plain salt rather than iodized salt if using the ODTB. Is this correct, or should I continue with the iodized salt?

My mare has now decided that the vitamin E capsules are intolerable -- she either leaves them in her feed trough or spits them out on the floor. Since the ones I use are water soluble soft gels, I've experimented with putting them in a small container of water for a short time before I feed and then pouring the water over her ODTB.

Question 2 is about dissolving the vitamin E in water:

If I put the vitamin E in warm water the gel caps will "melt" and I have nothing but liquid to pour over the ODTB. Is this acceptable, or does the warm water have an adverse effect on the vitamin and destroy its effectiveness?

If I put the vitamin E in cold water the gel caps do not melt, but lose their roundness, with the middle of the capsules becoming sucked in. If I pour this water over the feed the horse will still not eat the sucked in gel caps. Is she getting the vitamin E under these conditions, or is it still inside the capsules?

Thanks for any assistance you can give with getting my picky horse to eat what's good for her!

Merdy and Lacy in Illinois

lindarollins38@...

Merdy,
I'm with you on the fussy horse topic! In the beginning, Peanut would eat anything I added...but no more. I have always added hot water to his meal, which is now Blue Seal Carb Guard, Vit. E, iodized slat, ground flax, folic acid, and Vit. A, biotin & Se. He really WILL NOT eat the mush if it has the mag. carb or copper, whihc I spent a lot of money on. I trudge to the barn, thermos of steaming hot water in hand, and by the time it is all mixed, the Vit. E & A are completley disolved. I have never heard anything on this list about the temp. of the water diminishing its effectiveness.
Linda

--
www.betterthandead.petfinder.org

I am a member of Rural Area Veterinary Services. See what we do!
www.ruralareavet.org

http://www.chainofcompassion.org/helpanimals.html

http://www.sportshorses.com/cases/rollinslinda.Peanut.htm

From: Merdy <mersmith@...>
[...]

Sandra Su

At 9:18 PM +0000 1/14/08, Merdy wrote:
I seem to recall reading that one should feed plain salt rather than
iodized salt if using the ODTB.
Right. I was corrected when I thought it was iodized salt, so
feed plain, non-iodized salt with ODTB cubes.

My mare has now decided that the vitamin E capsules are intolerable
I don't know about heat, though warm water, about body
temperature, should be fine, since the vit. E will be in a body
anyway. What I did that worked was to cut the gel cap in 2 with
scissors. That seemed to solve the problem with Penny. Of course,
she wound up not wanting to eat anything with her supplements in it,
but I think the most offensive thing was the copper. I don't recall
any problems with her eating vit. E when it was cut.
--

Sandy Su
ssu@...