Coastal Blend and West Coast Hay

Anne M. Clarkson <katzpa92@...>

Hello, just wondering, here in SC we are feeding primarily a blend of hay
commonly called Coastal blend. I buy it in huge round bales and free feed
it to the horses all winter since our grass, mostly centipede, is dormant in
the winter. Right now Bertha seems to be doing very well on just the hay
and is growing a beautiful thick winter coat, no curls. I have no idea what
her former owner had been feeding her and since it took her almost 30 days
to reach me her system was cleaned when she arrived. She has been here
since June and with the exception of the curly coat and itching has no other
signs of Cushings. I have a wonderful vet who has agreed to come out next
month to test her for the disease but in the mean time I am trying to better
understand this illness.

I read the required reading and found it fascinating and very informative
and since it isn't a genetic disorder what type of feed or hay could Bertha
have been on out on the West Coast to give her Cushings? I don't believe
she came from a farm that spent any large amount of money keeping their
horses in condition so I would assume they fed them primarily a poorer grade
of hay. What type of hay is fed on the West Coast? Is it mostly Alfalfa or
a blend of hays? What is "the cheap stuff" out there? I want to know so
that I steer clear of anything close to that when I buy. I have not owned
horses for very long but the folks around me have owned them 'forever' and I
buy from very reputable people who keep in touch with me and I with them, we
have a horse community almost. There are other draft owners here who own
Haflingers and Massive Jacks (I have the only Percheron around and proud of
it too <g>) and we all compare notes. I buy my hay for a man who has
Haflingers that he shows and he has been growing and selling hay for 30
years his hay, ground and water is tested and he only sells to three people
to include me so I know that the hay is good so I am very lucky in that
arena. But with the drought we have had this year there is a good chance
that he will run out of hay before the winter is over and I will be forced
to buy elsewhere, so I need to have as much information as possible before
we get into our winter here.

My farrier will also be out next month just to see my big girl, I do my own
Miniature Horses feet but I let the farrier do the larger horses, my back
isn't what it use to be and Bertha has feet the size of platters. He can
look at a horses feet and just tell you if you are screwing up or not <g>
and believe me he will tell you LOL. I have a little Mini with bad hocks
and I let her go to long without a trim and he blasted me good, until he
found out I had been in the hospital, then he said, "Well, as long as you
have a reasonable excuse." then he trimmed her feet. Ya know he was dead
serious, I would be scared to have him come out and have a horse with extra
long toes waiting (shudder).

Anyway, information on West coast feed would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

AA

Cindy McGinley

"Anne M. Clarkson" <katzpa92@...> wrote:
I read the required reading and found it fascinating and very informative
and since it isn't a genetic disorder what type of feed or hay could Bertha
have been on out on the West Coast to give her Cushings?

Anne, I think you are confusing Cushings and Insulin Resistance. That's okay, it happens a lot. Nothing Bertha ate could give her Cushings. Cushings (PPID) is a disease of the pituitary gland that usually occurs in older horses. It has its own set of symptoms and can be diagnosed with an ACTH blood test. And while Cushings is sometimes a primary cause of Insulin Resistance, Insulin Resistance does not cause Cushings. Nor does any kind of feed or hay. And Cushings must be treated with medicine. Pergolide is the drug of choice.

- Cindy and Alf (and entourage) in NY

Anne M. Clarkson <katzpa92@...>

Okay, huge duh here, thanks Cindy, so what you are saying is that it isn't
that she got it because of what she ate but what she is eating can make it
worse. Did I get that right?

AA and the wrecking crew

I read the required reading and found it fascinating and very informative
and since it isn't a genetic disorder what type of feed or hay could
Bertha
have been on out on the West Coast to give her Cushings?

Anne, I think you are confusing Cushings and Insulin Resistance. That's
okay, it happens a lot. Nothing Bertha ate could give her Cushings. Cushings
(PPID) is a disease of the pituitary gland that usually occurs in older
horses. It has its own set of symptoms and can be diagnosed with an ACTH
blood test. And while Cushings is sometimes a primary cause of Insulin
Resistance, Insulin Resistance does not cause Cushings. Nor does any kind of
feed or hay. And Cushings must be treated with medicine. Pergolide is the
drug of choice.

- Cindy and Alf (and entourage) in NY

***PLEASE BE SURE TO REMOVE UNNECESSARY DUPLICATED MATERIAL FROM THE MESSAGE
YOU ARE REPLYING TO BEFORE YOU HIT SEND -- ONLY LEAVE ENOUGH SO YOUR REPLY
IS UNDERSTOOD***

Shortcut URL to this page:

All posts copyrighted the year posted, all rights reserved to the author of
the post and list owner. Posts may NOT be copied or intellectual property
used elsewhere without written permission of the author and/or list owner.

Post message: EquineCushings@...
Subscribe: EquineCushings-subscribe@...

Yahoo! Groups Links

Sandra Su

At 9:18 PM +0000 1/14/08, Anne M. Clarkson wrote:
I have a wonderful vet who has agreed to come out next month to test
her for the disease [Cushing's] but in the mean time I am trying to
better understand this illness.
Read up on the testing protocols so you get the right test --
ACTH -- for Cushing's. You also might want to have the vet draw blood
for glucose and insulin tests. From the results of those, you can
calculate the glucose:insulin ratio and find out if your mare also is
IR. Often the hormonal imbalances of Cushing's provoke IR, too. And
get a thyroid test.

what type of feed or hay could Bertha have been on out on the West
Coast to give her Cushings?
Feed doesn't give a horse Cushing's. Cushing's is an adenoma
(benign tumor) of the pituitary gland. It happens as horses get
older, and I think no one knows why some horses get it and others
don't.
IR can be provoked by a diet too high in sugar and starch.

I don't believe she came from a farm that spent any large amount of
money keeping their horses in condition so I would assume they fed
them primarily a poorer grade of hay.
As is often said here, the quality of hay doesn't necessarily
tell you the sugar and starch in it. However, some horses don't do
well on alfalfa, so just in case your mare is one of them, it's
probably better not to feed alfalfa.

I want to know so that I steer clear of anything close to that when I buy.
When you buy hay, if it's been tested already, ask for a copy
of the hay test. If it hasn't been tested, you need to get it tested
so you can see the sugar (ESC) and starch levels. When you add them
together, they should equal 10% or less. You can also use the hay
test for info to balance nutrients the hay is lacking (and they all
lack something). Then you supplement those, so the diet is balanced
to the hay.
Until you find out the sugar and starch in your hay, you
probably should soak it, though that'd be hard to do with a round
bale.
--

Sandy Su
ssu@...

Cindy McGinley

"Anne M. Clarkson" <katzpa92@...> wrote:

Okay, huge duh here, thanks Cindy, so what you are saying is that it isn't
that she got it because of what she ate but what she is eating can make it
worse. Did I get that right?

What she eats can make her *Insulin Resistance* worse, if she has that as well. And yes, Cushings and IR often go hand-in-hand, so most of us also give our Cushings horses an IR diet. But, only the recommended blood work will tell you definitively if she has either or both. So to be on the safe side before the bloodwork, we usually start everyone on the emergency diet right away.

No worries. Learning is an adventure. :-)

- Cindy and Alf (and entourage) in NY
(Off to dance class now)

Anne M. Clarkson <katzpa92@...>

Thanks for all the information, this is a great help. I keep a bag feed
here that is 10% and I can mix that with some square bale hay and feed that
to Bertha until I get this emergency diet started.

AA