New equine research from UC Davis

cjspackman

I was recently reading UC Davis' 2007 equine research review and
thought some of you might find the following interesting.

1) Work by Joseph Zinkl and Gregory Ferraro establishing normal ranges
of commonly analyzed blood values for Draft horses. Goal to establish
reference ranges for healthy draft horses as they differ from light
horses. The looked at references ranges for hematology and serum
chemical analytes in 25 Clydesdale, 25 Percheron and 25 Shire's and
compared to analytes from 20 light horses. Blood was collected at the
horses home ranches to minimize stress. Normal values were
established for complete blood counts and blood chemistry and were
found to be similar but not identical to those of the light horses.
The results were presented at the Tahoe Equine Medical Conference 2007
but have not yet been published in peer reviewed journals.

2)Work by Jamie Higgins, Nicola Pusterla, and Birgit Puschner
determining the optimanl daily dose of oral vitamin E supplementation
to protect neurologic tissue against oxidative damage. The goal was
to establish whether oral supplementation of vitamin E would raise
vitamin E levels in the cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) and if so what
does was needed. They found that both serum and CSF levels increased
with daily oral Vit E supplementation. That a dose-dependent
correlation existed. And that daily oral supplementation will cross
an intact blood brain barrier and enter the CSF.

A couple of interesting future research projects include investigation
into why some horses develop allergy to vaccines, and does perfusion
pressure to the equine hoof determine blood flow to the equine hoof?

Clair

Larson <seahorses3@...>

Claire, thank you for this - I hope when it is published, someone can post a link. My vet has said that drafts tend to run a bit lower on hemoglobin that most horses. Since I have NO science, I hope that's the right word.

Yes, folks, drafts ARE different! Blue would say better, but all horses are a gift.

Carol and Big Blue in Maine

At 05:15 PM 1/14/2008, you wrote:

I was recently reading UC Davis' 2007 equine research review and
thought some of you might find the following interesting.

1) Work by Joseph Zinkl and Gregory Ferraro establishing normal ranges
of commonly analyzed blood values for Draft horses.

cjspackman

For those wishing to read about these studies and many others I just
found a link to the research review online

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/CEH/pubs-RR07.htm

I was reading a hard copy. The Review is written for the lay audience
so it is easy to read.

Clair