Arnica and its effectiveness, if any

papballou <PapBallou@...>

I was searching the archives and didn't find too much info on oral
arnica, and the little I did find was from quite awhile ago. Has oral
arnica been of any use in laminitis pain? Is it specifically
contra-indicated?

Thanks -

Linda

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

arnica been of any use in laminitis pain? Is it specifically
contra-indicated?
Hi Lindaa,

I carry vials of Arnica globlets in my pockets,for me and the animals.
It's a great remedy,in my exprience,for bruising,inflammation,muscle
soreness,and so fifth.
No contraindications *that I know of*.

Lorna
Kingston,Ontario

ponyjackpal <takarri@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "papballou" <PapBallou@...>
wrote:

I was searching the archives and didn't find too much info on oral
arnica, and the little I did find was from quite awhile ago. Has oral
arnica been of any use in laminitis pain? Is it specifically
contra-indicated?

Thanks -

Linda
HI Linda
I used oral Arnica for Jack a little while ago- he has cushings only-
but this was mainly for shoulder/muscluar injury.He also would have
been a little laminitic then as well. I was told only to use it for a
month as is not supposed to be for long tern use. I didn't see it make
a "stand out " improvement & I stopped it after 3 weeks. He was on
Pergolde & v low dose bute & cal carb.I have had fantastic results with
White Willow Bark for pain relief- no bute needed/no side effects
(gatric ulcers etc) & can be used long term & I'm 95% sure not contra-
inicated with any other meds
Hope this helps
pauline & jack

Harvest Moon <collieherd@...>

I was searching the archives and didn't find too much info on oral
arnica, and the little I did find was from quite awhile ago. Has oral
arnica been of any use in laminitis pain? Is it specifically
contra-indicated?

Homeopathics don't interfere with anything else, but other things can interfere with the homeopathic. I've been using homeopathics for my family and animals for the past couple of decades with great success. I used Arnica with Butterscotch during his founder instead of Bute and it worked really nicely for him to control the pain (he wasn't on any other meds or things that would interfere with it). Now that I know more about the inner working of founder, I'd choose Jiaogulan instead (so an herbal route rather than a homeopathic route), simply because of the circulation benefits of J-herb opposed to Arnica. And I'm pretty confident in saying that J-herb would probably interfere with the workings of a homeopathic, so if you go that route, I wouldn't bother with the Arnica. There may be better Homeopathics available to help with founder than Arnica, but you'd need to work with someone well versed in homeopathy to determine what.

Hope that's helpful!

--Shelley & Butterscotch (and Lacy & Annie, too)

papballou <PapBallou@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Harvest Moon" <collieherd@...>
wrote:
Thanks! And to Lorna and Pauline for taking the time to answer.

One of the local equine vets uses it a lot, and he is going to be
seeing a mini that I trim who definitely has metabolic issues...just
not certain what it is yet. Was just wondering if it would go against
anything from here.

Linda

Sandra Su

At 3:13 PM +0000 1/19/08, Linda wrote:
Has oral arnica been of any use in laminitis pain? Is it
specifically contra-indicated?
I can only speak generally, for humans, about its
effectiveness. One time I fell off Penny, and I was quite bruised and
sore. Someone gave me some arnica pills to take -- I forget now for
how long, it was years ago -- and I was skeptical, since I can't
figure out how these things can work. Well, I took it anyway out of
politeness and trying to be openminded. It worked for me about as
well as ibuprofen would have! I was amazed, since I didn't expect it
to work. It could have been a placebo effect, but I was so doubtful
that I'd feel any better from it that I think I can exclude a placebo
effect. Don't you have to believe the placebo is actually the drug
and is working?
--

Sandy Su
ssu@...

Le Jardin Design <lejardindesign@...>

I use oral Arnica and another one called Traumeel all the time. I like the Arnica 200c for horses it works really well. Around 3 years ago my horse and I both took a nasty fall. I took the traumeel right away and gave it to him as well (trameel has arnica in it as well as other things for tendon recovery, bruising, swelling etc). I worked for both of us and we had little to no swelling or bruising. Traumeel comes in handy after a chiropractic appointment, a long workout or any other physical stress for horse or rider. You can also get the arnica and the traumeel in a topical ointment. A good holistic/supplement store to get it, and the best part is it isn't spendy! My 8 year old grand daughter swears it works when she takes a tumble as well. I keep it in my first aid horse kit and human kit.

Karen and Shadow