Emergency Diet

maing8rots

I jsut sort of rescued a beautiful Friesian mare who is extremely
underweight. The only place she has some weight is in her neck.She was
on free choice Purina Ultium and hay where I picked her up. She also
has arthritis bad so bad she does drag her hind legs. From what her
privious owner has said she has done everything she could do to help
this mare. I have pet her on a joint suplement to try and help her but
she barely eats. I have put her on a carb safe grain and some
probiotics. I also have pet her on a 2nd cut hay as she has started to
eat that a bit better. She had her teeth done and thay are fine for a
17 year old. I am trying to get the vet out to pull blood as I only
picked her up Friday. I just couldn't leave her as she is soo beautiful
and sweet I want to give her a chance. Can someone send me the
emergency diet as I did not receive that when i joined this group?

Thank you and any suggestions or thougths before the vet comes out
would be great.
Kristle and Zjetta

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

Can someone send me the
emergency diet as I did not receive that when i joined this group?
Hi Kristle,

What a nice thing you are doing for this mare.She's lucky.

For the Emergency Diet, and more, go to the Files(on the left side of
the Home Page),and open Start Here.
Then come back here and ask about whatever isn't clear.

Lorna
Kingston,Ontario

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

From what her privious owner has said she has done everything she
could do to help this mare.
D you know what this means exactly,by any chance?
Do you know her worming history?

I also have pet her on a 2nd cut hay as she has started to
eat that a bit better.
Does she have hay available all the time?Is pastur available?(not
sure where you are...)

How have you prepared the beet pulp for her?Some horses like it
sloppier than others.Sometimes warm watr soaks help.
But it does seem true that some just don't like it at all.

Is she ribby,Kristle?She sounds like it from your description.Where
would you put her on the body condition scale?

How is her coat?Shiny?Dull?Heavy?Thin?

Does she live out?Stabled at night?

If we have more details we can help you help her better.

You'll have a better idea of the details after you have time to read
the Files I mentioned.

Lorna

Harvest Moon <collieherd@...>

She also
has arthritis bad so bad she does drag her hind legs.

Kristle, can you post photos of her in the photo section of the group? I'm just thinking maybe there's something different going on in her hind legs (rather than arthritis) that might be a hint as to what's going on with the rest of her, so photos might help someone suggest possibilities.

Can someone send me the
emergency diet as I did not receive that when i joined this group?

You can find the emergency diet in the files section of this group.

Best of luck with her, you are a dear for taking her on!

--Shelley & Butterscotch (and Lacy & Annie, too)