Shredded BP

n.eike

Hello Everyone,

I am moving in a new area and the only BP I could find is the shredded
kind with molasses. So off buying pillow cases! That stuff is awfully
light and I am not sure how much to feed my guys. Do I weight it dry
or wet? I have two ponies Sasha is 900lbs and Mr.Thewell is 375lbs.
Sasha is a hard keeper and needs 2% body weight in forage. Mr Thewell
could use to loose 25lbs. None of them are IR, I am on a prevention
program due to their genetic vulnerability. How much shredded BP
should I give them?

Nikita in MD

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

Hi Nikita,

Do I weight it dry or wet?
Always dry weight

How much shredded BP should I give them?
It depends on what you are hoping the beet pulp to add to our
program.Remember hay should be the main part of the diet as long as
that is doable.
Many of us are only feeding beet pulp as a vehicle to get the
minerals into our victims,er I mean,horses.Some people don't use BP
at all for this.In this case we only use as much as is needed to hide
the minerals,whatever that is in your case.
Others use BP as a substantial part of their diet in order to
put/keep weight on a horse,for whatever reason.

Pelleted BP is another altrnative if you can get the Plain,instead of
molassed shredded.I still rinse /soak regardless of what the bag says.

Lorna
Ontario

n.eike

Thank you Lorna,

It depends on what you are hoping the beet pulp to add to our
program.Remember hay should be the main part of the diet as long as
that is doable.
I would like to replace some of the hay with an alternative since I am
not sure that the supplier I could find will have enough if the new
crops comes in late. I have never used beet pulp to stretch the hay so
I am not sure how much I should give. Sasha should get 15 to 18 lbs of
hay per day and Mr.Thewell 6 lbs. Can I replace up to 25% with BP or
would it be better to use something like TC Safe Startch?

Nikita in MD

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

Can I replace up to 25% with BP or would it be better to use
something like TC Safe Startch?

I *think* you can go as high as 50% of the hay requirements with beet
pulp.But remember to take into account the mineral profile of that
much beet pulp to see what happens with your hay balancing act.

Lorna
Ontario