weighing hay

Abby Nemec

I do weigh bales. Every so often I weigh a few to be sure my "feel" is still accurate. I put out 2.5 bales of hay per day for 5 horses (well 4 horses & one pony), and the bales weigh on average 40-45 lbs. I'm lucky that my horses seem to average out pretty well as a bunch. Still have some fat horse/lean horse issues sometimes, but since my guys are all stable on their current diet this is accurate enough for our needs.

We group feed 3 horses in one paddock & 2 in the other. I divide the horses as "keepers". Easy in one group, hard in the other.

I use the 50 lb scale from the fishing section, which holds a bale just fine. I snap the ring end onto the two cross ties in the aisle, and hang a bale from the hook.

-Abby

--
**************************
Abby Bloxsom

Margherite von Ahsen <mvonahsen@...>

2.5 bales for 5 horses?

I give my horses one bale each of a timothy/broome/alfalfa mix. Bales are anywhere from 60lbs to 70 lbs each.

I also do not feed it all at once... I give it to them several times a day (every time they finish) and more at night if necessary due to cold weather.

2.5 bales does not enough for 4 horses and a pony...

Also.. "keepers" are horses that have an abnormal metabolism which could be easily fixed with the right supplements...

Do you subscribe to any horse related magazines? They offer plenty of info for the layman, unless you have a great vet that you can learn from.

Cheers!

Katrina

From: Margherite von Ahsen

2.5 bales for 5 horses?

I give my horses one bale each of a timothy/broome/alfalfa mix. Bales are anywhere from 60lbs to 70 lbs each.

I also do not feed it all at once... I give it to them several times a day (every time they finish) and more at night if necessary due to cold weather.

2.5 bales does not enough for 4 horses and a pony...

Also.. "keepers" are horses that have an abnormal metabolism which could be easily fixed with the right supplements...

Do you subscribe to any horse related magazines? They offer plenty of info for the layman, unless you have a great vet that you can learn from.

Amberlee

.

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

I give my horses one bale each of a timothy/broome/alfalfa mix.
Do you mean brome?

Bales are anywhere from 60lbs to 70 lbs each.
Do you mean you give each horse a bale which weighs 60lbs to 70 lbs?

I also do not feed it all at once... I give it to them several
times a day (every time they finish) and more at night if necessary
due to cold weather.

Sorry,I'm having trouble computing....do you mean you feed each horse
(how many is that?)a 60-70lb bale of mixed hay a day,and MORE than
that if it's cold weather?

2.5 bales does not enough for 4 horses and a pony...
How so? Sounds just right to me,according to the weight of her bales
(40-45 pounds Abby said.)

Also.. "keepers" are horses that have an abnormal metabolism which
could be easily fixed with the right supplements...

Ok,now you've really lost me.Can you explain the above,please?

Do you subscribe to any horse related magazines? They offer plenty
of info for the layman, unless you have a great vet that you can
learn from.

...or unless you join the Equine Cushings list which provides plenty
of accurate information for the layman and professional,if that's the
distinction being made.

Lorna
Kingston

Nona Runyon

Actually that sounds about right given the bale weight and number of
horses. I feed two 60# bales a day to 6 full sized horses and up that
amount by 25% during unusually cold, wet weather. They also get 1.5 to
2 lbs of alfalfa/day to supply their calcium and protein needs which my
grass hay doesn't meet.

Do you mean you give your horses one 60-70# bale for all of them? How
many are there? I guess my horses would do their best to each eat a 60#
bale a day, but there would be a lot of wastage, and they would blimp
and burst in no time. What a mess that would be:-).

Nona

Margherite von Ahsen wrote:
2.5 bales for 5 horses?

I give my horses one bale each of a timothy/broome/alfalfa mix. Bales
are anywhere from 60lbs to 70 lbs each.

2.5 bales does not enough for 4 horses and a pony...

Margherite von Ahsen <mvonahsen@...>

Nona,

I give them each 60 pound bales... I am not sure where you live, but we have -30 to -20 weather.. therefore the hay is never wasted. We usually leave the horses out in warm blankets at -20.... and loads of hay... they are all at a normal, healthy weight.

"Good keepers" are usually horses with metabolic issues. Every horse can "adjust" to eating less hay overtime, but their physical condition will not be the best. Custom supplements do wonders for such problems.

We find that many people who have horses, do not feed them enough hay... usually too much grain, which causes these terrible, "cushing's" side effects.

My idea on giving the horses hay is feed them each and every time they finish the last bit of hay.

Katrina

From: Margherite von Ahsen

==============

===================

====================

Like I said before...

What works for you, might not work for everyone ;)

Amberlee

EC List Moderator/Monitor
.

5 Pine Ranch

We find that many people who have horses, do not feed them enough hay... usually too much grain, which causes these terrible, "cushing's" side effects.

Amberlee

.

5 Pine Ranch