ODTB cubes dry or soaked

Saucier Kathy

We are getting closer and closer to getting the ODTB cubes in TX. It has been approved and they are working out the logistics of storage. I hope in a couple more weeks I have a big announcement to make to everyone down here who wants to give these a try.

So while waiting for that to happen I would like some opinions.
My barn owner really doesn't like the idea of feeding cubes dry. She has a fear of choke. She wants to soak them like she does the alfalfa cubes for the rest of the horses. My thinking is if they are dry he can munch on them off and on all night when he is up whereas if they are soaked, he will only be able to eat so much at one time and then it sits getting nasty.

So please give me some experiences with this and what concerns I should have.
Thanks,
Kathy Saucier & Magic

Mandy Woods

Kathy,
These cubes are smaller than most others. They measure just less than an inch wide. Their length varies...from 'fines' to a quarter inch to 4inches. It doesn't take much to soften them. IF you just spritz them with water the fluff up. Each horse will be different about their preference from dry to wet. Save the 'fines' at the bottom of the bag and use them for flavoring BP. Some horses eat those readily dry. Most horses like the flavor of them. If a horse doesn't feel satisified with just cubes you could add a flake of hay for chew time. It takes Asher one hour to eat 4 pounds of cubes. We do this 4 times a day plus a soaked flake at night. All you will need to add, if this is your complete diet is Vitamin E, loose salt and freshly ground flax seed. Feed at ground level. I use an 18 gallon rubber maid storage container.
Mandy and Asher in VA

Phyllis Begg <pbegg@...>

Tina ate hers dry. Didn/t like them wet. She ate her fill, rested, and then returned to the bin later. Sometimes she lay down and ate them at the same time. Never once had a problem. Phyllis