Double dose strongid paste ?

lindarollins38@...

Could someone please explain to me exactly what this means and what to do? I am so afraid of doing it wrong, andhe's doing so great!
Linda

I am a member of Rural Area Veterinary Services. See what we do!
www.ruralareavet.org

http://www.sportshorses.com/cases/rollinslinda.Peanut.htm

Mandy Woods

Hey there Linda!
What this means is you buy TapeCarePlus by Farnam and give that...its already double dose...just once.
Or ~ you buy two seperate Strongid Pastes and give two in one day....at the same time. That should take care of tape worms. Weigh your animal and give the appropriate dose for that weight...then double it! Whats really funny, down here at the Tractor Supply store, the TapeCarePlus is cheaper than one Strongid P!
Mandy and Asher in VA

lindarollins38@...

Thank you!!!

I am a member of Rural Area Veterinary Services. See what we do!
www.ruralareavet.org

http://www.sportshorses.com/cases/rollinslinda.Peanut.htm

Lara <larhae71@...>

So, what would an ideal worming schedule be then? So should youg give
Ivermectin every other month (Jan, Mar, May, July, Sept, Nov) and then
the Pyrantel Pamoate two times per year, but when??? Lara

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Mandy Woods"
<bittersweetfarm@...> wrote:

What this means is you buy TapeCarePlus by Farnam and give that...its
already double dose...Or ~ you buy two seperate Strongid Pastes and
give two in one day....at the same time.

Mandy Woods

Lara,
There are variables to answering this like where you live, is the pasture 'virgin' or established, how large is the pasture, how many horses are on it, are the horses healthy etc. I think I would talk to your vet about advising you for your area. There is no "One size fits all" on this subject. Also, not mentioned was the "5 day power pack'' which is fenbendazole (Safeguard/Panacur double dose x 5 for encysted strongyles).
Mandy and Asher in VA

Lara <larhae71@...>

Living in Western WA the climate here does not have extreme season
changes like the East Coast used to have (at least when I lived in PA
as a little girl), not so sure now...

I only have 2-3 horses at a time and they're at home and not exposed to
different horses. We have a 3 acre pasture that's established but not
overgrazed, however, they're currently on the dry lot. All pretty
healthy except my possible IR pregnant mare that just foundered for the
second time!

My vet tells me I can just use Ivermectin since there is no resistance
to it and that every eight weeks is more than sufficient given my
situation... Now, that does not seem logicle to me?

<bittersweetfarm@...> wrote:

Lara,
There are variables to answering this like where you live, is the
pasture 'virgin' or established, how large is the pasture, how many
horses are on it, are the horses healthy etc. I think I would talk to
your vet about advising you for your area. Mandy and Asher in VA

Lara <larhae71@...>

I really can spell, I meant "logical"... :) Lara

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Lara" <larhae71@...> wrote:
Now, that does not seem logicle to me?

Mandy Woods

Lara,
I wish I had studied 'wormology'! If your horses are on a drylot they are
not reinfecting themselves on worm larva on the grass. If you've done
ivermectin on all three at the same time and you pick up all the manure in
the lot everyday, I dont see why you'd need to worm so often. I read many
years ago that Cornell did a study on dormant pastures - 40 years dormant -
and they still found worm larva. So that says freezing and heat doesn't
kill all of them. Your hay fields should not be grazed. The hay I buy is
"clean" meaning no animals allowed to graze the fields. If we all just use
ivermectin, eventually the horses will become resistant to that too. I hope
Amberlee or Dr. K respond to this - And you need to talk to Amberlee
about your pregnant mare!!
Mandy and Asher in VA
I use CA Trace - its great - contact Sally Hugg at barefoot@...

Lara <larhae71@...>

Thanks Mandy, actually I have talked to Amberlee and Dr.K about my
mare. However, the subject of worming never came up... Lara