Jack/Blood testing query

Pauline <takarri@...>

I was planning on running blood tests on Jack next week, - 11th June
I'm not sure at this stage what is relevant.
Jack was on 7ml liquid pergolide start of April & all May- dropped to
6ml start of June & will drop to 5ml on the 10th June.

My aim is to see how we are responding to treatment/management, I am
curious to see how we are going- (read impatient to see if all my
hard work has paid off).

As our ACTH testing is expensive, I can't afford to do it often - so
if I do it now while he is in the middle/end of a seasonal high will
this give me enough info to see if it is being managed-I am aware of
having false results, but are not sure at which at which part of the
high it may affect.

I was also planning on doing Glucose/Insulin/ T3/T4 & iron (our oz
version- not ksu?).

I would appreciate some input if I should wait until a more
appropriate time & if so when would that be? Or do some or all of
the tests?
I was also planning on doing a Glucose/Insulin on my "normal" 25 yr
old appy- that is more for my piece of mind as I see "symptoms" in
just about every horse now- tho he does seem a bit suss.

Cheers
Pauline & Jack

Joan and Dazzle

If you are on a budget that doesn't allow you to test all the time,
you're still testing about a month or two too soon.

If this were Dazzle (and if Dazzle lived in Australia), I would test
between mid-August and mid- Sept.

After you drop the pergolide dosage, you will want Jack on that dose
for 3 weeks before you test. Changing the dosage will change how the
body creates the hormones affected. - Otherwise, your test results
may be affected by the change in dosage.

How's his hoofies doing?

Joan and Dazzle

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Pauline" <takarri@...> wrote:

[...]

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Joan and Dazzle"
<horsies4luv@...> wrote:

How's his hoofies doing?
Hoofies are beautiful- Carola was out 2 weeks ago. Always looks
slightly owwie- due to his old shoulder injury- but I can usually tell
the difference. He happy to trot on his walkies & I'm not getting as
puffed either. Fancy taking up jogging at this stage of my life!
Pauline & Jack

Joan and Dazzle

Great to hear! That's how you know that you were on the right track!

And it's good to hear that you've taken up jogging....

Joan and Dazzle

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Pauline" <takarri@...> wrote:

How's his hoofies doing?
Hoofies are beautiful- Carola was out 2 weeks ago. Always looks
slightly owwie- due to his old shoulder injury- but I can usually
tell
the difference. He happy to trot on his walkies & I'm not getting as
puffed either. Fancy taking up jogging at this stage of my life!
Pauline & Jack

Jeanie

On the "If this were Dazzle (and if Dazzle lived in Australia), I would test
between mid-August and mid- Sept." - there is one problem with that. I
believe Australia's seasons are the opposite of ours in the Northern Hemisphere.
Our heading-into-Winter seasonal rise is as Fall approaches. Theirs will be
different months, their Fall is our Spring I believe. I hope one of the
folks from Oz will tell us when their 'Winter' actually starts.
Jeanie

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

Pauline <takarri@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., sdlbredfan@... wrote:
I hope one of the folks from Oz will tell us when their 'Winter'
actually starts.
Jeanie - our winter starts 1st June
Pauline & Jack (In Oz)

Joan and Dazzle

HI Jeanie,

Pauline was hoping to test now for Jack's ACTH. But since she's not
yet truly off the seasonal high, I suggested waiting a little. Sort
of like if someone in the US said that they wanted to test on Dec.
1st, we would suggest that they wait until around mid-January or
Feb.

The testing that I thought Pauline was wanting to do was to see how
Jack's doing coming off the seasonal high, not going in to it.

That's why if this were Dazzle, and I wanted to test (like Pauline
does), I would still wait another month or two to allow the effects
of the seasonal high to be well and truly over.

I did remember that Pauline's seasons are backwards, that she drives
on the wrong side of the road and the water probably runs
counterclockwise as it swirls down the drain. On top of that, she's
probably never seen the North Star, and probably wouldn't be able to
find it if even if she did have a clear, star-filled night. Heck,
she probably even went on vacation in the last few years and thought
she saw penguins. Then, she'll probably try to convince you that she
really did. <g>

Just good fun Pauline.

I'd still wait a little while to test...

Joan and Dazzle