Farewell to Magic

Saucier Kathy

Many of you who have been following our journey with Cushing's and Insulin Resistance. Magic was diagnosed back in January 2005. I joined this group at that time which started a new chapter of my life. This group has provided me with support, answers and friendship and given Magic an extension to his comfortable life.
Magic's problems have in turn helped a multitude of others through this group, an article in The Gaited Horse magazine last year, stretching my vet to learn and understand more about these issues, helped friends of friends horses, etc.
I am not the same horse person I was 3 1/2 years ago because of all this. As much as I wish we never had to deal with it, I see the whole picture and purpose behind it to reach so many.

We had to put Magic down last week on July 2nd. I wrote the group on Monday June 30th with a last plea for help with what we thought might be ulcers we were dealing with, as he had gone totally off feed (even hay). But Magic had decided it was time and all us humans in his life had to accept it. The hardest part of all this was that I was on vacation and couldn't be there. But he was not alone and he was at peace.
Short version is that Patti, barn owner, trainer and long time friend of mine and Magic's (& the closest person to him besides me) took care of getting him to my vet. Another fellow boarder and friend was there with her so she wasn't alone to do this.
Magic got MY final wishes. He got to eat grass and carrots. Although not with gusto, he did eat those things after not eating anything for 6 days and really enjoyed it.
Between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning he really deteriorated (details in our total story at link below) to a point they weren't sure they could load him and get him to the vet, but he was told how wonderful a horse he had been and that on the next morning we were helping him cross over. And Wednesday morning she said he had a renewed perkiness to his look despite the worse physical aliments he had. And when he saw her open trailer (not even mine) he took her right in. He knew. I am amazed at the wisdom & awareness of our animals when it is time to go. There was no fear on his part.
As much as this saddens me, a huge weight has lifted as I have tried to learn everything that we could possibly be dealing with.
This doesn't even begin to tell our story and I have written a tribute to Magic telling the amazing story of how we came together and the relationship we shared for over 13 years. It was too long to put in this message but a friend has posted on a website for me. I encourage you all to go there and read it. It was written for horse and non horse friends alike and you are welcome to pass the website on to anyone you think would appreciate hearing the story. Here is the link:
http://www.gaitedgala.com/MagicTribute.html
She even added the EC group website at the end at my request.

I will not be leaving the group. There is just too much work yet to do and so much to learn. I may not spend as much time reading messages, but there is a special connection we all share because of C's and IR and we need the help and support of this group to help us through it. So I hope to keep up with the news and if anyone from my area needs some individual help, I'm just an email away.
Thanks just isn't enough to express my gratitude for this group.
Kathy Saucier &
Copy's Magic Sundust who has gone over the Rainbow Bridge
Texas

Valeree Smith

Kathy,

You brought tears to my eyes.

It seems like you and Magic have been an institution on this list for as long as I can remember. All horses are special and these PPID/IR guys and their human caregivers......a little more so. They carry us on our own journeys and hopefully we can pay forward what they give us the opportunity to learn.

A hug to you and may Magic run free with the Herd.

Valeree & GD

(and Shuey and Mackey -- long time members of the Herd)

What a beautiful and fitting tribute to a wonderful horse. I know you
wrote that through your tears, as I am now. Thanks for sharing Magic
with us. I'm glad you're staying on.

Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)

Claire C. Cox-Wilson <shotgun.ranch@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Gary & Kathy Saucier"
<gksaucier@...> wrote:

Many of you who have been following our journey with Cushing's and
Insulin Resistance. Magic was diagnosed back in January 2005. I
joined this group at that time which started a new chapter of my life.

Kath
You know my heart goes out to you. Your tribute was beautiful &
fitting. Thnak you for sharing it with us. What a beautiful gentleman
he was.
Magic is with my Tamera (& many others from this list) now, romping &
playing in all their splendor & beauty.
Hugs to you, my friend....the pain will lessen with time.
Claire

Theresa Leri <tleri@...>

Dear Kathy; Like everyone on this list, I have followed your posts and advice and the journey of you and your special companion, Magic. My heartfelt condolonces are offered to you and your family at this time of Magic's passing. I have been in your shoes and my heart is broken for you, though I know that you are correct, and Magic is in an incredible place with so many friends, old and new.

Peace,
Theresa Leri and Khaiti

To: EquineCushings@...: gksaucier@...: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:37:20 -0500Subject: [EquineCushings] Farewell to Magic

Many of you who have been following our journey with Cushing's and Insulin Resistance. Magic was diagnosed back in January 2005. I joined this group at that time which started a new chapter of my life. This group has provided me with support, answers and friendship and given Magic an extension to his comfortable life.Magic's problems have in turn helped a multitude of others through this group, an article in The Gaited Horse magazine last year, stretching my vet to learn and understand more about these issues, helped friends of friends horses, etc. I am not the same horse person I was 3 1/2 years ago because of all this. As much as I wish we never had to deal with it, I see the whole picture and purpose behind it to reach so many.We had to put Magic down last week on July 2nd. I wrote the group on Monday June 30th with a last plea for help with what we thought might be ulcers we were dealing with, as he had gone totally off feed (even hay). But Magic had decided it was time and all us humans in his life had to accept it. The hardest part of all this was that I was on vacation and couldn't be there. But he was not alone and he was at peace.Short version is that Patti, barn owner, trainer and long time friend of mine and Magic's (& the closest person to him besides me) took care of getting him to my vet. Another fellow boarder and friend was there with her so she wasn't alone to do this.Magic got MY final wishes. He got to eat grass and carrots. Although not with gusto, he did eat those things after not eating anything for 6 days and really enjoyed it.Between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning he really deteriorated (details in our total story at link below) to a point they weren't sure they could load him and get him to the vet, but he was told how wonderful a horse he had been and that on the next morning we were helping him cross over. And Wednesday morning she said he had a renewed perkiness to his look despite the worse physical aliments he had. And when he saw her open trailer (not even mine) he took her right in. He knew. I am amazed at the wisdom & awareness of our animals when it is time to go. There was no fear on his part.As much as this saddens me, a huge weight has lifted as I have tried to learn everything that we could possibly be dealing with.This doesn't even begin to tell our story and I have written a tribute to Magic telling the amazing story of how we came together and the relationship we shared for over 13 years. It was too long to put in this message but a friend has posted on a website for me. I encourage you all to go there and read it. It was written for horse and non horse friends alike and you are welcome to pass the website on to anyone you think would appreciate hearing the story. Here is the link:http://www.gaitedgala.com/MagicTribute.htmlShe even added the EC group website at the end at my request.I will not be leaving the group. There is just too much work yet to do and so much to learn. I may not spend as much time reading messages, but there is a special connection we all share because of C's and IR and we need the help and support of this group to help us through it. So I hope to keep up with the news and if anyone from my area needs some individual help, I'm just an email away.Thanks just isn't enough to express my gratitude for this group.Kathy Saucier &Copy's Magic Sundust who has gone over the Rainbow BridgeTexas

Bev Kurtz <beevely@...>

Kathy,

I'm so sorry for your loss - it takes great courage to release a loved
one. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.
Bev

Mary Jane Stach <mj@...>

Kathy,
So sorry about Magic...his name seems to be a reflection of the effect
he had on you and others who knew him. Nothing happens by
accident...not how you met...not how or when he transcended...all meant
to be. What a wonderful life you had together...I'm sure he would want
you to continue to help more horses...as you helped him...happy heavenly
trails to him...

Blessings to both of you,

Mary Jane

[mailto:EquineCushings@...] On Behalf Of Gary & Kathy
Saucier
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:37 PM
To: EquineCushings@...
Subject: [EquineCushings] Farewell to Magic

Recent Activity

New Members
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJldmc0N
mpxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM3Njg0MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDI3NjkEc2VjA3Z0b
ARzbGsDdm1icnMEc3RpbWUDMTIxNTcxNTIxMg-->
New Files
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcDV2MGh
jBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM3Njg0MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDI3NjkEc2VjA3Z0bAR
zbGsDdmZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzEyMTU3MTUyMTI->

Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings;_ylc=X3oDMTJkb2l1NDZlBF9TA
zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM3Njg0MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDI3NjkEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDd
mdocARzdGltZQMxMjE1NzE1MjEy>
Need traffic?

Drive customers
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13odqg2am/M=493064.12016308.12445700.867457
8/D=groups/S=1705042769:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1215722413/L=/B=CdbYAkLaX9Q-/J=12
15715213195925/A=3848644/R=0/SIG=131l83flq/*http://searchmarketing.yahoo
.com/arp/srchv2.php?o=US2006&cmp=Yahoo&ctv=Groups5&s=Y&s2=&s3=&b=50>

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Yahoo! Groups

Latest product news
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oc6ji5q/M=493064.12016262.12445669.867457
8/D=groups/S=1705042769:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1215722413/L=/B=CtbYAkLaX9Q-/J=12
15715213195925/A=5028926/R=0/SIG=11e3tma2a/*http://new.groups.yahoo.com/
moderatorcentral>

Join Mod. Central

stay connected.

Yahoo! Groups

Stay healthy
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13o0npdgm/M=493064.12662708.12980600.867457
8/D=groups/S=1705042769:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1215722413/L=/B=C9bYAkLaX9Q-/J=12
15715213195925/A=5349274/R=0/SIG=11nhsqmjq/*http://advision.webevents.ya
hoo.com/EverydayWellness/>

and discover other

people who can help.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=376841/grpspId=1705042769/ms
gId=113029/stime=1215715212/nc1=3848644/nc2=5028926/nc3=5349274>

Larson <seahorses3@...>

Kathy, my heart is breaking for you - and I know so many others are as well.

It remains a mystery how they know, how they may decide, and it is perceptive horse people like you who allow them the grace and dignity to run free from pain again. It's a tribute to you and Magic both that your barn manager went that distance for you two.

Thank you for staying with us. Sadly, we know this will not be the last, and people like you can help others with the good and the sad.

Carol and Blue in Maine

Karen <karen@...>

Oh Kathy, My heart is breaking for you for the loss of Magic. Fly
Magic Fly.
You have helped me many times and I am so glad you will continue on the
list.
Thank you and take care.
Karen,
Chantilly, Tommi and Little Koko---

Jeanie

Bless your heart, so sorry his earthly journey came to an end, to open up
the next phase. Your comment "He knew. I am amazed at the wisdom & awareness
of our animals when it is time to go. There was no fear on his part" is very
wise and I am sure you are correct.
cyber hugs to you....
Jeanie

**************Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music
scene in your area - Check out TourTracker.com!
(http://www.tourtracker.com?NCID=aolmus00050000000112)

julie congleton <juliecongleton@...>

Dear Kathy, thanks for the post -- and making me cry -- and thanks in
advance for being willing to help me learn on the board. May Magic find the
happiness that he deserves.
Julie and Cinderella

shirleysedona <shirleysedona@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Kathleen Gustafson"
<katmando@...> wrote:

My condolences on the loss of your beloved Magic. Yes, they do know
when it is time and they make their passing easier for their loved
ones. Truly amazing animals. Keep memories close in your heart and heal
as time passes.
Shirl

Cindy McGinley

Kathy,

My heart goes out to you. I can tell how much Magic meant to you, and I wish I could do or say something to make it easier. But you've written him a fine tribute, and he will live on through you and through all the people and horses he has helped just by being who he was. Bless you for knowing when it was time to let go.

- Cindy, Alf, Connie Dare, and Saffron
(In Memory of Dusty and Red, my Golden Boys)

Joan and Dazzle

Oh Kathy,

I know that you wanted to be there, but I think that HE planned it
that way. He thought he could spare you an ounce of pain by crossing
over when you weren't here. He loved you that much!!

There's tears in my eyes.

Joan and Dazzle

<gksaucier@...> wrote:

Insulin Resistance. Magic was diagnosed back in January 2005.

amyt001 <aet001@...>

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Kathy. Here's to Magic, free and
happy and waiting for you across the bridge. Amy in PA (Misty C/IR,
Herbie IR mini, Dylan "normal" OTTB, and on HIH, lost beloveds across
the bridge Echo, Pebbles, Cherry)
<gksaucier@...> wrote:

Insulin Resistance. Magic was diagnosed back i
Kathy Saucier &
Texas

Kathleen

Kathy

I too offer my grief and support at the loss of your wonderful Magic. I have no doubt, but
that Nasty was waiting to greet him and welcome him in to the Club that must have
formed on the other side of the Bridge---what stories they must have to tell one another.
Because of this group, our old fellows were able to be the best they could be.

I wish you well.

Kathleen M

http://www.hoofbeats-in-heaven.com/hoofprints/Dynasty/

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Gary & Kathy Saucier" <gksaucier@...> wrote:

I will not be leaving the group. There is just too much work yet to do and so much to
learn. I may not spend as much time reading messages, but there is a special connection
we all share because of C's and IR and we need the help and support of this group to help
us through it. So I hope to keep up with the news and if anyone from my area needs some
individual help, I'm just an email away.
Kathy Saucier &
Texas

wjjbean

Dear Kathy,
~ a beautiful tribute to a very lucky horse to have you for an owner.
I can barely write this through the tears but I'm sure you know
everyone in this group feels your pain and is there for you. Thank you
for sharing your wonderful story. many hugs and much love to you.

Wendy and Ursila
Falcon and recently departed Ollie (the golden)

<gksaucier@...> wrote:

We had to put Magic down last week on July 2nd. I wrote the group on
Monday June 30th

Jami <jnrsiemsen@...>

Dear Kathy,
I read your post and tribute to Magic and want to extend my sincere and heartfelt codolences. I shed tears for you and with you but you made the right decision. He is free and without pain and having fun with all of our horses that have crossed over the bridge.Time will heal the wounds but those wonderful memories will last forever.
Enjoy your time with Grayson now.
Jami and Ember in Placerville, Ca.

5 Pine Ranch

Kathy, I just got home, I am sorry for chiming in late. I caught the subject immediately and am all choked up, I can hardly believe it.

HUGS! I am so sorry for you loss....

Amberlee
Please support the Racehorse Welfare Petition
www.ipetitions.com/petition/RacehorseWelfare/index.html

Saucier Kathy

Everyone,
Thank you so very much for all the kind words and comfort you all have sent my way!!
Each email has been so special. What a wonderful community of horse people this is. I have saved all of them in a special email folder to hold on to.
We are there for each other helping with our horses' problems and we are there for each other with their passing.
I'll be around. Can't stop just because I no longer have a C's/IR horse. Matter of fact one of our members saw where I was from and contacted me. She lives very close to me and didn't know about the ODTB cubes. So again Magic, through the farewell writing, has helped another.
Another of our members suggested I offer the story to our walking horse magazine, so I'm pursuing that now.
And a local schooling show we used to be a regular at has asked that I pick a trophy to memorialize Magic. I've chosen trail obstacle because he loved to do those.
The love and appreciation just keeps coming and I want to thank each and every one of you that has written and expressed your condolences to me.
When I first wrote, it took me almost 2 hours to write it and find the right pictures.
All the tears kept blurring the words. Now I have tears because I am so touched by everyone and tears when I recall cute stories and memories in conversation. They are good tears. Recollecting our past has made me so aware of how wonderful our time was together. This was the first horse since I've been an adult and first time to really understand the bond and relationship you can have with a horse. So I really look forward to seeing what God develops between me and my new horse. He is so different, that it will be exciting and fun to have totally different experiences.
By the way I don't know if I ever mentioned this but Magic' registered name is Copy's Magic Sundust. My new horse, who I had no idea what his registered name was until
I handed over the check, is Prowler's Magic Man. When I saw that I almost fell over.
I did not go out searching for a copy of Magic and if I had known his name, I probably would have passed him by. So glad it was a surprise.

So thank you everyone for your wonderful messages! They mean so much to me.
Kathy Saucier, Grayson and
Magic who is without pain, running and bucking and eating lots of grass with all the others that have left us