Farewell to Magic

Saucier Kathy

Many of you who have been following our journey with Cushing's and Insulin Resistance. Magic was diagnosed back in January 2005. I joined this group at that time which started a new chapter of my life. This group has provided me with support, answers and friendship and given Magic an extension to his comfortable life.
Magic's problems have in turn helped a multitude of others through this group, an article in The Gaited Horse magazine last year, stretching my vet to learn and understand more about these issues, helped friends of friends horses, etc.
I am not the same horse person I was 3 1/2 years ago because of all this. As much as I wish we never had to deal with it, I see the whole picture and purpose behind it to reach so many.

We had to put Magic down last week on July 2nd. I wrote the group on Monday June 30th with a last plea for help with what we thought might be ulcers we were dealing with, as he had gone totally off feed (even hay). But Magic had decided it was time and all us humans in his life had to accept it. The hardest part of all this was that I was on vacation and couldn't be there. But he was not alone and he was at peace.
Short version is that Patti, barn owner, trainer and long time friend of mine and Magic's (& the closest person to him besides me) took care of getting him to my vet. Another fellow boarder and friend was there with her so she wasn't alone to do this.
Magic got MY final wishes. He got to eat grass and carrots. Although not with gusto, he did eat those things after not eating anything for 6 days and really enjoyed it.
Between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning he really deteriorated (details in our total story at link below) to a point they weren't sure they could load him and get him to the vet, but he was told how wonderful a horse he had been and that on the next morning we were helping him cross over. And Wednesday morning she said he had a renewed perkiness to his look despite the worse physical aliments he had. And when he saw her open trailer (not even mine) he took her right in. He knew. I am amazed at the wisdom & awareness of our animals when it is time to go. There was no fear on his part.
As much as this saddens me, a huge weight has lifted as I have tried to learn everything that we could possibly be dealing with.
This doesn't even begin to tell our story and I have written a tribute to Magic telling the amazing story of how we came together and the relationship we shared for over 13 years. It was too long to put in this message but a friend has posted on a website for me. I encourage you all to go there and read it. It was written for horse and non horse friends alike and you are welcome to pass the website on to anyone you think would appreciate hearing the story. Here is the link:
http://www.gaitedgala.com/MagicTribute.html
She even added the EC group website at the end at my request.

I will not be leaving the group. There is just too much work yet to do and so much to learn. I may not spend as much time reading messages, but there is a special connection we all share because of C's and IR and we need the help and support of this group to help us through it. So I hope to keep up with the news and if anyone from my area needs some individual help, I'm just an email away.
Thanks just isn't enough to express my gratitude for this group.
Kathy Saucier &
Copy's Magic Sundust who has gone over the Rainbow Bridge
Texas

Valeree Smith

Kathy,

You brought tears to my eyes.

It seems like you and Magic have been an institution on this list for as long as I can remember. All horses are special and these PPID/IR guys and their human caregivers......a little more so. They carry us on our own journeys and hopefully we can pay forward what they give us the opportunity to learn.

A hug to you and may Magic run free with the Herd.

Valeree & GD

(and Shuey and Mackey -- long time members of the Herd)

What a beautiful and fitting tribute to a wonderful horse. I know you
wrote that through your tears, as I am now. Thanks for sharing Magic
with us. I'm glad you're staying on.

Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)

Claire C. Cox-Wilson <shotgun.ranch@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Gary & Kathy Saucier"
<gksaucier@...> wrote:

Many of you who have been following our journey with Cushing's and
Insulin Resistance. Magic was diagnosed back in January 2005. I
joined this group at that time which started a new chapter of my life.

Kath
You know my heart goes out to you. Your tribute was beautiful &
fitting. Thnak you for sharing it with us. What a beautiful gentleman
he was.
Magic is with my Tamera (& many others from this list) now, romping &
playing in all their splendor & beauty.
Hugs to you, my friend....the pain will lessen with time.
Claire

Theresa Leri <tleri@...>

Dear Kathy; Like everyone on this list, I have followed your posts and advice and the journey of you and your special companion, Magic. My heartfelt condolonces are offered to you and your family at this time of Magic's passing. I have been in your shoes and my heart is broken for you, though I know that you are correct, and Magic is in an incredible place with so many friends, old and new.

Peace,
Theresa Leri and Khaiti

To: EquineCushings@...: gksaucier@...: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:37:20 -0500Subject: [EquineCushings] Farewell to Magic

[...]

http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger_072008

Bev Kurtz <beevely@...>

Kathy,

I'm so sorry for your loss - it takes great courage to release a loved
one. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.
Bev

Mary Jane Stach <mj@...>

Kathy,
So sorry about Magic...his name seems to be a reflection of the effect
he had on you and others who knew him. Nothing happens by
accident...not how you met...not how or when he transcended...all meant
to be. What a wonderful life you had together...I'm sure he would want
you to continue to help more horses...as you helped him...happy heavenly
trails to him...

Blessings to both of you,

Mary Jane