how much beet pulp?

familyjudith <jfamily@...>

How much beet pulp SOAKED should I be giving my horse who now is
thin. I have been giving him two cups with all his supplements twice
daily along with his soaked hay, and some alfalfa/Timothy hay cubes
(Dehy)(12% protein). He has lost weight, in the last two weeks since
his last laminitis attack. Now he is stabilized, hungry, and bored in
his stall with his soft ride boots on. Any ideas are appreciated.

Judi and Tawny

Mandy Woods

Judi,
You can feed up to 30% his total daily feed in bp. Weigh it DRY. Is he a mini? The alfafa/timothy cubes may be too high in esc/s for him. They are NOT tested. You want to get the Ontario Dehy Balance Timothy cube which IS tested and balanced and SAFE. IF he's able to walk around at liberty and not start bucking and having a good ole time, then hand walk him or turn him out in a drylot...real dry...no greenies!
He sounds like his IR is uncontrolled and you need to get the sugars down lower. What does he weigh?
Mandy

familyjudith <jfamily@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Mandy Woods"
<bittersweetfarm@...> wrote:
Mandy: He is a Trakhner! 16-1 and still competing (or was) at
dressage and he is 22. He probably weighs about 1,000 pounds. The
alfalfa/timothy cubes from Ontario Dehy are tested. They are packaged
with a 12% protein listed on the outside tag. Am I overlooking
something????? I am beginning to hand walk him now and soon I will
turn him out in a small correl-drylot. I will try to find Ontario Dehy
on line and try to get the Timothy cubes without the alfalfa. I
thought 12% was fairly low. I would like to start him on a low
suger/starch pellet like Safe Choice, but wanted to wait until I got
him over this one episode. Any suggestions. I hear Purina has a new
one, but hard to get.

Thanks Judi

Joan and Dazzle

Hi Judi,

You want to look for the Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance cubes. They
are low in sugar and starch. The alfalfa/timothy cubes that listed
12% is protein. We're after the number for the sugar and starch,
instead of protein.

They also make a timothy cube that is NOT balanced. So you have to
be sure to ask for the right thing. When you go to pick it up, the
tag on the bottom will be a lavendar color.

The Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance cubes are one of the best that you
can buy. Dr. Kellon balances each batch they make. You'll be
balanced on all the minerals with that feed. It's worth the extra
effort to get them.

Also, be careful. Not all feeds with the word "Safe" in the title
actual are safe. Not all feeds advertised as "low starch" are
actually low in sugar and starch. Check with our list and our files,
since our members have been so diligent to report what they've found
out.

Getting the food squared away is a biggie. We have to learn a new
method of horse care and feeding. It's not hard. Just different.

Joan and Dazzle

--- In EquineCushings@..., "familyjudith" <jfamily@...>
wrote:
I will try to find Ontario Dehy
on line and try to get the Timothy cubes without the alfalfa. I
thought 12% was fairly low. I would like to start him on a low
suger/starch pellet like Safe Choice, but wanted to wait until I
got
him over this one episode.

kristenroberson13 <kristenroberson13@...>

I am taking care of a horse that is insulin resistant does anyone know
anything about lmf low carb????

Kristen
http://www.barnculture.com

Mandy Woods

Judi,
Whoa! He's a big boy. The cubes you're feeding : Ontario alfalfa/tim are NOT tested for sugar and starch nor are they balanced with minerals. The bags you buy have the green label sewn on the bottom, right? You want to get the lavender label by OD called Timothy Balance. ONLY this bag of cubes is *SAFE* for an IR horse. They are formulated by Dr. Kellon. The other bags of cubes are just bags of cubes! Sure they print the protein number but we're interested in the esc/s (sugar and starch) number.
Purina makes the new Wellsolve feed....its too new for us to comment on. Its also pricey $30 a bag. Why dont you just feed hay and beetpulp?

The
alfalfa/timothy cubes from Ontario Dehy are tested. They are packaged
with a 12% protein listed on the outside tag. Am I overlooking
something?????
Yes, You're overlooking the sugar and starch! and then mineral balancing.

Mandy

Mandy Woods

Kristen,
I believe this company adds iron to their feed and iron worsens IR. Mandy

familyjudith <jfamily@...>

---Joan:

Thanks I have now ordered the Balance Timothy cubes!! Can't wait til
they come; shipping just two bags is alot, but Tawny is worth every bit
of my effort and then some. Thanks, Judi

familyjudith <jfamily@...>

Thanks Mandy -
After your message, I got on line and talked with them this morning.
You are Right!! I order the Balanced Timothy Cubes and asked for quick
shipment. Thank you, thank you, Judi and Tawny