hives

thepiegirl2003

My mare Sammy broke out into hives yesterday evening. Nothing has
changed in her diet or surroundings. She is on beet pulp, mag ox,
salt and horseshine with grass hay. She stays inside during the day
and is out in the evenings. I thought it might be a reaction to flies-
we have stopped using pesticide fly sprays due to her IR condition and
starting to use the fly predators. I bathed her today with betadine
and ivory soap. The vet is coming tomorrow to recheck another horse
at the barn (cut leg) and I want him to look at Sammy as well.
However, I am very worried that he will prescribe something for her
that will not work for her due to her being IR. Is there anything
safe to give her? What should I insist he not give her? She is doing
so well since I learned how to change her diet/trim from this list and
I'm scared she will backslide from this. She had hives once in the
past but they were gone by the next day. I've googled horse hives and
of course came up with lots of scary stuff. I also checked the EC
messages and did not find anything about meds there. Thanks for your
help! Christina & Sammy in VA

Carlynne Allbee

You wrote: "I bathed her today with betadine and ivory soap."

I use betadine scrub and T-Gel medicated shampoo for people.

Carlynne Allbee and Patience

echo sharkey <hubbahubba311@...>

My IR mare gets hive-like reactions to some gnat bites and bee stings too.  Normal doses of horse antihistamines and Benadryl gel on the spots themselves work for her.  I have not had to use these more than a day or three.  Her chin and chest seem to be  favorite targets for the ones she reacts to.

nunnatsunnega <ellen_wright@...>

Christine,

Just knowing you are in VA makes me think gnats or no-see-ums.
Possibly those itty bitty black flies that get on cows. You say she's
up during the day. Rig a big box fan to blow on her in her stall and
turn it on high. These critters are fairly weak fliers and they don't
stand a chance in a good breeze. It's amazing what something so low
tech can do for a horse.

Ellen

thepiegirl2003

Thanks Ellen-
She does have a fan that blows on her-wouldn't make it without it in
this VA humidity! I do wonder about the flies-my neighbors have cows.
Thanks! :) Christina & Sammy

Christine,

Just knowing you are in VA makes me think gnats or no-see-ums.
Possibly those itty bitty black flies that get on cows. You say she's
up during the day. Rig a big box fan to blow on her in her stall and
turn it on high. These critters are fairly weak fliers and they don't
stand a chance in a good breeze. It's amazing what something so low
tech can do for a horse.

Ellen

thepiegirl2003

Carlynne-
Thanks for the tip! :) Christina & Sammy

thepiegirl2003

Where do you get benadryl gel? Thanks! :) Christina & Sammy

Susan <sbaumgardner@...>

I get benadryl gel at the pharmacy- off the shelf.
Susan
Where do you get benadryl gel? Thanks! :) Christina & Sammy