Got 2 of 3 test results back...

Ginger Reid

I will have to figure out how to post on the place to list all this...but it's been 3 weeks and I only have 2 of the 3 blood tests back from Texas A & M! Man...has never taken this long before!
What I have so far is

Glucose - 105 (vet said this is in normal range of 75-117)
Insulin - not back yet
ACTH - 52

My vet says that she def. needs higher dosage of pergolide...has been on 1 mg. for 3.5 yrs. now...he wants to up to 1.5 mg...this is not the original vet who ran original tests and prescribed the original dosage...

Would like some feedback on these numbers I have so far...

I buy my hay from 3-4 different sources and they have numerous pastures they cut from...so getting the hay analysed is very hard and expensive to do...I am feeding Purina Wellsolve L/S as her base feed and add in Max-E-Glo and (2) lg. scoops of Remission per day (was only 1 but I doubled it) and also add in veg. oil as she continues to stay just slightly ribby...she started showing a crest in her neck again after many years of not looking symptomatic...but then I knew we needed to get new bloodwork done...I would also think she has fat pockets about her eyes as with her age, they should be sunken in quite a bit? Coat is fine - she gets wooley in winter but always sheds out normally..

Cassie - 23 y/o Arabian mare
Ginger Reid - joined 3.5 yrs ago..

Linda <PapBallou@...>

Glucose - 105 (vet said this is in normal range of 75-117)
Insulin - not back yet
ACTH - 52
Hi Ginger -

Yes, the PPID is not controlled. It is possible she is in the fall rise, or the PPID is slowly progressing. Either way, upping the dose is appropriate. I suspect the insulin will be slightly elevated when you get that back.

and also add in veg. oil as she continues to stay just slightly ribby...
This is dangerous. Oil/fat in any form other than the essential fatty acids in your flax is *foreign* to the horses diet, and induces or worsens IR. See this post from Dr Kellon:

There are many other studies in the archives but search simply doesn't search effectively at the moment.

To increase her weight, give her more safe feed. What about beet pulp? Are you soaking her hay since you can't test? Try to give her free choice of the hay and see if you can't get weight on her that way. As a bit of an older horse, she might not have enough protein in the diet as well. BP will help and whey protein at 30 grams/day. And, getting the PPID better controlled with help as well.

Does she have muscle loss/wasting as well?

Looking forward to seeing the insulin results.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

Ginger Reid

Does she have muscle loss/wasting as well?

Looking forward to seeing the insulin results.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

I don't see as much muscle wasting as in the beginning, but have always been able to see some ribs...thought that perhaps I will always see some ribs with cushings...better than she was in the very beginning 3.5 yrs ago...but yes, she is showing symptoms again...so vet has ordered .5 mg. higher dosage now = my capsules are 1 mg. - would it be safe to give 2 capsules which would be 2 mg. and then continue with the 1.5 when they come in? I will have to get more beet pulp as it is scares and hard to find (non molasses)...will stop the veg. oil then...the max-e-glo has rice bran oil (stabilized) in it as well...always thought that was a safe fat to feed...
Ginger R.

Linda <PapBallou@...>

Hi Ginger -

Just take one of your capsules and *unscrew* it, and put half the contents on the cookie or whatever you use to get the pergolide in and then put the capsule back together. I store my *cannibalized capsule* in a bead container until I need it. So she doesn't get lethargic, just start the first few days with 0.25mg increase and then go up to the 0.5mg. If you have APF on hand, use that, too.

I didn't realize Max-e-glo had RB in it! Thought it was just flax. Great to know!

And you can get the BP with the molasses and just rinse the heck out of it and it will be OK to feed.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

Ginger Reid

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Linda" <PapBallou@...> wrote:
Ok..will try that with tonights feeding! Don't know what ADF is...can you explain?

Ginger

Hi Ginger -

Just take one of your capsules and *unscrew* it, and put half the contents on the cookie or whatever you use to get the pergolide in and then put the capsule back together. I store my *cannibalized capsule* in a bead container until I need it. So she doesn't get lethargic, just start the first few days with 0.25mg increase and then go up to the 0.5mg. If you have APF on hand, use that, too.

Linda <PapBallou@...>

Hi Ginger -

APF is a mixture of several adaptogens that many members have found helps their horse get over the veil that often comes with introducing pergolide, or increasing it. www.auburnlabs.com

Since your mare has been on pergolide for quite some time, I would suspect that just slowly introducing the increase would be fine.

I keep it on hand for when Pap gets his vax, or we trailer...anything that's a bit of a stress.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

Saucier Kathy

Hi Ginger!
I know you from one of our other groups as well. Remember me.
Although I lost Magic over a year ago I still try to read the EC group digests and saw you on here.
I know that getting plain beet pulp is a bit far. I think the closest you can get is in Temple.
You've gotten good advice from everyone but I wanted to add about keeping that Pergolide dose up (& ACTH testing in the normal range).
One thing I failed to do was ever get our dosage up enough to get relief of symptoms and bring the ACTH into normal range. I was always behind the power curve. I don't know what normal range is from testing at A&M but sounds like it is above normal from other responses. Each time I tried to increase our dose, Magic would go off feed (the veil). I finally did start the APF and sure wish I had done this a whole year sooner.
So I wanted to encourage you to keep up with increasing the dose as needed and go with the APF. It isn't cheap but it helps if the dose gets to a point that Cassie gets lethargic or stops eating. We were somewhere around 3.5-4.0 mg Pergolide a day near the end.
Good luck.

Kathy Saucier
Up in North Texas
January 2005