Omeprazole??

martha williams

Hello -
1. Are there issues about which to be concerned if giving omeprazole
to an IR horse? Or a Cushing's horse?
2. How many mg. of omeprazole are in a tube of Gastrogard?
3. Is there any reason why the same amount of drug couldn't be given in
pill or capsule form, and would it be just as effective?
4. If so, is there a source of omeprazole you can recommend (like the
pharmacies
from whom we order Pergolide, etc)?

The cost is quite high for Gastrogard......-- Mister Moussky likes
the taste, but we're
hoping we can mix up something tasty which will cost less and which will
still be effective.....
Thank you. Martha Williams ('08?) New York City/& Hudson Valley,
NY

Angie Jansen <angie.j@...>

4. If so, is there a source of omeprazole you can recommend (like the
pharmacies
from whom we order Pergolide, etc)?

I used liquid Compounded Omeprazole for my mare. It cost $160 for a months dosing given at 10cc oraly, via siringe, daily. The liquid compound is not as stable as the GastroGuard and the quality is dependent on the Pharmacy that compounds it. All that being said, I had stellar results with the compounded version.

Angie Jansen

Ontario, Canada

2008

.

Saucier Kathy

Yes Martha, you can get Omeprazole from pharmacies like Thriving Pets/Ian Hudgings.
phone # is(303) 333-1899
And email is ian@...
I got mine from him a couple years ago. It comes in a powder form and the dose for my horse was 1 teaspoon (varies by their weight). Your vet has to fax or phone in the prescription. But you will get it very quickly after that. Oh and fax # is 303-379-6390 (from an email to him last fall although the website shows the fax # to be 303-733-3999 so contact him first to be sure)
Several on here have gone that route with their IR & C's horses.
Kathy Saucier
January 2005
Carrollton, TX

Hello -